Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > KCA Issues > 2015 Delegates Meeting

Ryan Velez

The delegates meeting for this year at the US Open is underway. Being my first time as a delegate, it is pretty interesting to see the goingson of the US Chess a little closer.

For the most part, things seem to be going smoothly. A few bumps but overall the USCF seems to be positioned well financially, thanks to Allen Priest, and has, in my opinion, successfully rebranded itself from being called "The USCF" to "US Chess."

I have a met a lot of people and am excited to see how US Chess grows. I am very excited to see the sheer number of people from all walks of life and across the states doing things. It is refreshing to be in a room of people who care about chess, work hard to make chess better, and can sift through the politics to ensure the bishop continues to move diagonally.

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

August 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

The delegates meeting was interesting so far. It continues tomorrow morning.

I will be working with Ruth Haring and Jean Hoffman on chess player retention rates after speaking with Ruth via Allen.

I will also be working as the webmaster for the CJA (Chess Journalists of America).

This is all good stuff for KY as it means we will be able to have more ties to USCF that are meaningful.

I have also secured funding and commitments from 6 states to piggy back onto our Free USCF Membership Tournament. If I can get 4 more states of commitments, then it means we will be able to buy 1,000 USCF memberships at $7.00 each !! This is huge! I was also spotlighted in the delegates meeting for this event and people seemed very receptive to the concept. I am very excited to have a national impact of this sort!

--Ryan

--

August 9, 2015 at 12:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Keep up the good work. Just check out this quick list that is far from complete.

• Chess in Kentucky making national news at US Chess.
  • Chess expanding in Lexington via Alan Trimble.
  • More tournaments will be run in KY next year via KCA, KSCC, CTPE, Trimble, and many others, than at anytime in KY history.
  • We currently have the highest rated KY born player ever in Davis Whaley.
  • Former state champs are even being mentioned in articles at Scientific American.
  • National tournaments are coming to KY via Polgar / Niro and others.

All of this good news and I can't even get air conditioning turned on at UK. I gotta pick up my game!

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

August 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

Excellent news, Ryan. Cheers to you, Frank, Randas, the KCA Board, and others who have worked so hard to make such exciting progress! And thanks to Steve, who laid some of the foundation for all of us.

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

August 13, 2015 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Scott Noth

"I have also secured funding and commitments from 6 states to piggy back onto our Free USCF Membership"

Time to rename that tournament:  the "Free US Chess Membership tournament"  :)

August 13, 2015 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Yes sir! I actually am making the flyer now and I updated it! :-)

Thanks Scott for the reminder!

--

August 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

The program Ryan is using is the group memerbship program.  This allows an affiliate to purchase a block of membersips that can be used for schoasltic and youth players.  The affiliate has to pay for the block up front and receives vouchers which the players use to sign up or renew.  US Chess is pushing this program as our promotional tool for scholastics to get kids into US Chess rated play.  The bigger the block the lower the price per voucher. But we have made the blocks as small as 25 to help out school clubs (it used to be 100 minimum). The vouchers expire after 6 months if not used. 

I'm glad Ryan got to see US Chess governance at work.   KY gets extra representation as long as I am on the Executive Board since I am a delegate by reason of my position.  So instead of just 2 votes we get 3 - at least for the next 2 years. 

If you want to see what is going on at the national level check out the new US Chess website.  More changes are still in the works, but there is definately visible progress. 

August 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Yes, it is the membership voucher program. The idea is if we band tons of people together for the US Chess Membership event I run, they become cheaper for everyone. Yes, every affiliate can do this on their own, but rather than getting memberships for $7 - $11 they would cost $11 - $14 (assuming you get at least 100 kids to your event!)

They do sell them in blocks of 25 but those are $14 per which is not as good of a deal.

That is why we are excited to have pioneering such an event and other states are going to be contributing via satellite events and/or membership purchases. Western KY  is running the first KY satellite event for the US Chess Membership program. Thanks Tom Knight!!

--Ryan

--

August 20, 2015 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.