Kentucky Chess Association

The USCF state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Scholastics > Quad A Checkmate Cup

Tom Knight

Something I wanted to mention before the event passes-by this weekend, is the Quad A end of season tournament. It's for a little ongoing competition, and benefits a community in the Quad.

This was something the Quad A coaches penciled in on the 2016-2017 calendar back in August of last year, and it has somehow come together! Anyway, the Quad A Checkmate Cup is a seasonal final to award a single team prize aka a K3, K5, K8, and K12 cup (I can wear these cups as hats) with enough room around the base to last for over 3 decades of competition. Teams pay $50 for a lifetime entry, and the players donate nonperishables that go to one or more local charities for the community that the event is held in that year; single players without adequate numbers for a team, only need to make their donation to enter. This is also a Rated Scholastic event. Also the Quad A MVPs will be recognized in each of the 4 section based on their season long dedication and achievements. Certificates will be handed out to the top placing players in each section, as well.

This year it's hosted in Murray, KY and will benefit both the Murray area Need Line and Murray area Soup for the Soul charities.

It is most unfortunate that it's happening Easter weekend and so long after the State events, based on our numbers so far, but this is the first year, and we're just getting started. Ideally, this event would happen between the Quad and State.

This event, like most things chess-related, is a labor of love and a testament to the growth of chess, and it's methods of being recognized in our communities.

I'll let you know how it rolls.

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

April 13, 2017 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Knight

http://murrayledger.com/news/local-agencies-benefit-from-chess-tournament/image_764fd72a-2313-11e7-92e9-777468b5a2e8.html

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

April 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.