Kentucky Chess Association

The USCF state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Tournament Announcements > Second Annual Covington Classic Scholastic Chess Tournament

alan trimble

I am proud to announce the Second Annual Covington Classic Chess Tournament will be held Sept. 30th at Covington Holmes High School.  

Entry fees will be $15...USCF Membership required.  

This event last season featured the K-1 State Champion, 6 State Team Board 1's a few tough player from Cincinnati.  It's a tremendous way to get the chess season started...and it is the ONLY schalastic tournament this season slated to be held accross the street from a Dixie Chili.  The importance and awesomeness of that fact cannot be understated.  

I hope to see everyone that can get a chance to come out and support a growing club and help get Covington Holmes up and running.  All proceeds from the tournament will benefit Covington Holmes Chess.  

If anyone knows of chess players in Northern Kentucky that are interested in chess but not currently playing...please help me encourage them and get them sitting at a board.  

All questions can be sent to me at [email protected]/* */  

More tournament details will follow as the date approaches.  

June 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

alan trimble

Thank you so much to all the players and parents who made the Covington Classic a huge success. I greatly appreciate everyone's patience...it was my first time sitting behind the wheel of the pairing computer and I apologize for all user error mistakes made.

Defending K-3 State Champion Villa Madona School got off to a slow start secondary to an early morning soccer game...but came roaring back to dominate the section late and beat out Rosa Parks by a solid 2.5 margin led by Eli Dropic''s strong 3.5 points.

K-5 action featured a show down between Rosa Parks Elementary and the Greater Cincinnati Chinese School. Three of the top four players for the two teams were girls, and at the end of the day the Trailblazing Chess Squadron of Rosa Parks prevailed taking home the first place trophy.

K-8 section was an epic back and forth affair between Lexington's Beaumont Middle School and Nagel Middle School of Forest Hills Cincinnati. Nagel's William Dewey pulled upset after upset on his way to individually winning the section but his efforts would leave Nagel just a point short of Beaumont's 9.5 point collective effort.

The K-12 section oversaw a tremendous struggle between Ludlow High, Simon Kenton, and Covington Holmes. Ashton Weidle's personal best three win effort propelled the hosting Chess Dogs Squad to its first ever first place chess finish for Holmes...edging out Simon Kenton 10-8 in the final round when all of the dust had settled.  

Vijay Kannan traveled all the way from Louisville to claim the K-3 Individual First Place plastic...and Raymond Yu took the K-5 section notching first place plastic for the second straight year. K-8 was won by William Dewey from Forest Hills, Ohio. Dennis Kruglov came down from Mason Ohio to take the big plastic from the K-12 section back across the river.

Congratulations to all winners and a huge thank you again to all of the parents and players who helped support Covington Chess today. Special thanks to Covington Holmes Head Coach Renata Kennison, the Covington Holmes ROTC, and Covington Independent Superintendent Mr. Garrison for your onsite appearances, interactions with the kids, and fantastic hospitality. We can't wait to do it again next year.

September 30, 2017 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.