Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Tournament Announcements > Ky Team Championship

Lutz has Returned

Final details are being prepared  the Adult Team Championship. Expect to see the listing soon.. We are including an idea by Randas for a little extra spice to the event..

Don " The Fish " Lutz

February 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

The Basic Format for the Event will be Open and Under 1600.. The Open Section will be 4 person teams. The Under 1600 will be 3 person teams. This change makes it much easier to field teams. Our goal is have at least 16 teams. After the main event ( Randas idea ) there will be a Bug event.

Don " The Fish " Lutz

February 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Thomas

Just to double check, no average rating requirement for the open?

February 9, 2014 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Yes.. It will have a MAX average on it..  Both sections will have a decent prize as well.

February 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rburns
Administrator

From what I remember when Jerry ran the adult team, the average of the four players had to be 1700 or below. This kept the teams moderately balanced and made for a competitive tournament as well. I'm not sure what you would do for the U1600 teams of 3 however.

--

Randas Burns

KCA President

February 13, 2014 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Ah, The main reason for the 3 man under.. Is the PAIN in the rear it is to get 4 man teams. Some people show up without a team. The Administration can solve this problem easy with the 3 man rule.. Heh... Miller is playing..etc etc.  Jerry and I discussed the 3 Team idea in the open, i am against it because I have already been contacted by 4 man out of state teams.

The current USCF Rating system is a lot different than say just 10 years ago. We have a nice bunch of Masters/Experts/A players... 

The Cap on the Open is 2000... If you want me to change it i can.. I believe though, the Open section with 2000 cap will be an outstanding event. I truly believe we can get 8 Monster teams to show up in the Open Section.. Goal is 8 Teams each section! I am including a decent prize in both sections at Zero Cost to KCA.

Don ( The Fish ) Lutz

February 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

1 other note.

In Lexington,  we have VERY few players under 1600 enter our events.. I remember my good friend Stephen Miller playing a couple months ago and he was the Lowest Rated player.. Our most regular club players are all over 1800. Most over 2000. I know Louisville now has a large number of experts as well.

February 14, 2014 at 1:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Miami Fugatte

This sounds like a great event! A 3 person U1600 may draw in some of the lower rated players. I think 2000 is a reasonable cap for the open as well. Especially since we are promoting a U1600 section. One question thoiugh, is there a rule saying the 1st board and last board must be a certain rating distance, or only 2 players may be above 2000? These are ways to stop a 1300 from joining a team of masters. I look forward to the event and for everyone out there I am looking for a team!

--

February 14, 2014 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

I leave for Jamaica today... Can discuss this more on Facebook.. Will be back on boards Next Sunday.. 

I considered that Miami, but i think " WILD WEST " team format more fun lol..

Plus .. Just for example.. Lets say you have a 2200,2200,2200, 1400.. 3 Master team

Is that really better than a 2000,2000,2000,2000?  I dont think so.

I know 1 team is planning on a 1st board at 2500 lol.. I expect 1st board to be brutal lol...

Don " The Fish " Lutz

February 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Oh... Forgot to answer the question i got earlier about Unrated.

Unrated will be counted as 1500... This Rule was used on the last 2 team events we held.

February 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

The Side BUG Event will take place the INSTANT the Team Event is completed. The BUG Event will be Single Elimination with $100 Prize and no entry fee.. YOU must play in the TEAM Event to be eligible for the Bug Event. Thx to the Good Ole Boys of Central KY Chess for the $100 Donation.

February 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rburns
Administrator

I don't know what's more exciting about this event; the fact that there will be an adult bughouse with a donated prize or that some team out there will have a 2500 first board. I can't wait for this event!!!

--

Randas Burns

KCA President

February 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

Miami,

I expect to bring a team of high schoolers over for the team championship. I probably won't play in the team championship, but would really like to play bughouse. Would you consider letting a team enter for a fee (say $10/player not entered in the team championship). This money could then be added to the bughouse prize.

Ken McDonald

February 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

Er, that should have been addressed to Don, not Miami

February 16, 2014 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Gilchrist

Is there a date for this yet?

February 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Who wants to be on my team?

--

http://www.chessperformance.com/
http://chessperformance.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ChessPerformance

February 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Yeah Ken...

That is fine... The Bug wont start though before 7pm.. Just make sure your kids know it will be a late-night.

More details are being worked out right now on the Bug Event..

I just got back from Jamaica or wherever we were.... Will have the final details posted by end of this week.

Don Lutz

February 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

The Site will be the University of Kentucky.. Date to be announced soon..

I will post the TLA Flier on here the moment we send it..

Staff and their  duties..

Baker -  Site

Gurley- Floor

Miller - Computer

Lutz -  Troublemaker

Don ( The Fish ) Lutz

February 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Baker is working on the contract right now.. We are avoiding the UK Football game since all 4 of the names above attend the Miller Tailgate. Site will either be the UK Student Center or the UK Library. Thx for the patience.. dealing with University rules and procedures can be a pain.. Thx to Tanner Broughton for his help as well in getting the official University of Kentucky Chess Club back up and running..

Don ( The Fish ) Lutz 

March 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

We have the Grand Ball Room at UK reserved... Thanks to Jerry Baker for getting the site.

Don ( The Fish ) Lutz

March 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.