Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Awards and Recognition > Chess Club Snow Days

Ryan Velez

I have given chess club parents 3 options to resolve snow-day re-schedulings and a pretty cool trend occurred that I felt should be shared with the community.

I offered them

(1) $5 refund
(2) $5 off of the next time they join chess club
(3) $5 donation to give to a less fortunate student to go to a chess club we sponsor.

So far, 66% (10 out of 15) of the people who have responded have chosen option #3. In about a week or two we'll have likely our final numbers. Several of the parents added a 4th option saying "Donate the money so a kid can go to a chess tournament." So, we have made these entries available to Larry Bell for the Scholastic State Team championship.

If the money is not used, we will hold it in trust for next scholastic season!

This is an awesome response from the community and I want to thank everyone for all that they do. The community is stepping up as chess grows in our area and I think that is super positive!

--Ryan Velez

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

February 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Have already received several more requests for donation in the time it took me to write the initial post. Up to about 20 - 25 responses now!

--Ryan

--

February 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Overwhelming response.

Bottom line is this... if you are a club organizer, you should give people the above 3 options. We just turned snow days into a fundraiser for schools in need. This is awesome.

--Ryan

--

February 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.