Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Awards and Recognition > Steve Dillard USCF Membership Fund

Ryan Velez

I have put up a link on the Chess Performance website so people may donate money that will be reserved for the Monday Night Tournament to provide people with USCF memberships who can not otherwise afford it. As we're running the event, we decided this is one of two things we could do to honor Steve's memory.

We will also be naming our Free USCF Membership tournament after Steve Dillard because he told us it was the best scholastic tournament idea he had ever heard of outside of state championships.

I would also like the KCA to name the Kentucky Open after Steve.

I hope to see everyone tonight at Meijer.

http://www.chessperformance.com/

--

www.ChessPerformance.com
CTPELLC@gmail.com
502-240-9325
502-418-5312

March 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Bush
Limited Member

Everyone,

I"ll be talking to Meijer's managment later today about rotating tournaments w/ other TDs.

I think the suggestion re USCF memberships would be good to emulate by other TDs

Chris

(410) 227-9648

March 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Perugini

I think it's perfectly fine with Ryan and John running them.... Just my two cents though.

--

Tony Perugini

Zonetone Middle School Chess Coach

KCA Secretary

March 16, 2015 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kevin Kincaidi

National USCF Junior High School Championship to be in Louisville April 24-25? I just got an email form USCF that this tournament if being held in louisville. I did not see it posted on the calendar. I hope everyone is aware it is coming up and not something Steven was working on alone.

Kevin

March 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

Ryan has stated he will not allow Chris Bush to play in any tournament rated under the CTPE affiliate, part of John and Ryan's for profit business. Steve refused to comply with Ryan's demand that Steve ban Chris from his tournaments. When Steve refused, Ryan stopped allowing Steve access to this affiliate. Affiliates are used to submit rated tournaments to the USCF. 

Since Ryan has made no retraction of his comments, it seems reasonable to think the takeover of Steve's tournaments now includes a ban on Chris Bush playing in the Monday and Thursday night tournaments. I think this justifies alarm on Chris' part and a desire to see another TD w/o prejudice take over some of the tournaments. It should be noted that Ryan's ban is based on disagreements that did not occur at either of the tournament sites. He is attempting to punish a person for personal disagreements outside of the tournament site. While this may be allowed under the USCF rules, it's certainly not in the spirit of how Steve ran his tournaments.

March 16, 2015 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Winchester

I would submit that a ban based on personal disagreements is NOT within the guidelines of current USCF Rules.

I would like to ask for NTD Allen Priest's input on this.

--

March 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Phillippi

I am not taking sides here but in honor of Steve Dillard let's please put these personal diferences aside and not post those kind of comments.

James Phillippi

March 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

I try to make it a rule not to make a volatile post in haste. I broke that rule tonight and regret it. I was in a hurry to get out the door and get to Meijers. If I had instead waited until after I went to Meijers I would have seen that Chris was playing chess and Ryan was in attendance. Regardless of what was or was not said prior to tonight, my objections seem inappropriate given that Chris was not prevented from playing. Ryan and I spoke after I left and he believes I may have missed part of the discussion. We agreed to discuss that further after we both have had time to handle more pressing personal matters.

March 16, 2015 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Bush
Limited Member

Everyone,

I did play at Meijer's tonite- but I want to thank Ken's comments, which may have helped make that happen.

Ken's right: Ryan has repeatedly attempted to ban me from playing. He put pressure on Steve Dillard to not have me play, but Steve held his ground.

I was concerned that Ryan might not let me play tonight. Under the advice of legal counsel, I was advised to try to play- and if Ryan blocked me, that would be grounds for litigation. Fortunately, that didn't happen. 

I did talk w/ Meijer's management, and they did agree that TDs can rotate. That process is underway to schedule same. In this way, tthe Meijer's experience can continue in much the way that Steve wanted it to: to be open to all, and as a way to encourage adult chess playing in the L'ville. Now, a variety of TDs will be able to carry on in Steve's tradition. I think that's best for all.

We did have a good tournament tonight. Frank Niro was there, writing down recollections of folks which will be included in a Chess Life Story. Steve's sister showed up, too, and we talked w/ her and shared our feelings of respect for Steve.

Again, thanks to Ken- his comments may well have helped keep Ryan from excluding me from Meijers. Hopefully, the rotating TD system will also  keep the marketplace open and  allow other TDs to continue on in Steve's legacy.

Chris

(410) 227-9648

March 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

While I am pleased Chris was able to play at Meijer's tonight, I don't think my comments had any influence on this. If you look at the timestamp of my first post, you will see it is 6:23 PM. At that time I expect the first round at Meijers had already started and Chris was already playing chess.

March 17, 2015 at 12:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Ken, you are correct sir. The plan was business as usual.

--Ryan

March 17, 2015 at 12:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Winchester

I'm glad there was a good showing tonight, I wish I could have been there - I wanted to come, but it wasn't to be.

Let's keep Steve's spirit alive.

--

March 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Yes Terry, that was the point of this thread before it immediately deviated.

--

www.ChessPerformance.com
CTPELLC@gmail.com
502-240-9325
502-418-5312

March 17, 2015 at 1:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Bush
Limited Member

Ken McDonald at March 17, 2015 at 12:32 AM

While I am pleased Chris was able to play at Meijer's tonight, I don't think my comments had any influence on this. If you look at the timestamp of my first post, you will see it is 6:23 PM. At that time I expect the first round at Meijers had already started and Chris was already playing chess.

Ken,

I wasn't aware of the time difference. You're right, your comments were after the start of the tournament.

Nevertheless, thanks for the comments anyway. The fact is that Ryan tries to exclude his critics, and has been unssuccessful so far. But, based on his track record, it's likely Ryan will keep trying to punish, censor, and silence those who question his misconduct in the chess community. 

Chris

(410) 227-9648

March 17, 2015 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chssbg
I understand you have many issues you feel need addressing right now. I think this time should be about Steve. I feel now is not the time to further animosity and disagreement. Based on the amount of material, it seems excessive, and many points and accusations are being made using information that is currently not credible. Everyone is in shock and still grieving Steve's death. There is a time and place for said disagreement and now is not the time or place. Chris B.
March 17, 2015 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

Kevin Kincaidi at March 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM

National USCF Junior High School Championship to be in Louisville April 24-25? I just got an email form USCF that this tournament if being held in louisville. I did not see it posted on the calendar. I hope everyone is aware it is coming up and not something Steven was working on alone.

Kevin

Steve was to be a section chief at the national JH, but was not the organizer.  The spring national scholastic events are organized by the USCF national events director. 

But Steve will be missed.

March 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.