Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > KCA Issues > KCA Members Notice

Matt Hassen

The following changes to the KCA's governing documents have been approved by an email poll of the board of directors with a ratifying vote to occur at its next meeting. Therefore, the members will be asked to vote on these proposed changes at the members meeting on June 14, 2015 at 1:00 between the 4th and 5th rounds of the Kentucky Open.

Location: Patterson Office Tower, 120 Patterson Drive, Lexington, KY 40506
http://www.lexchess.com/index.php/icalrepeat.detail/2015/06/13/3025/10/ky-open?filter_reset=1

Proposals for approval by the members:
http://matthassen.com/2015KCAMemberResolutions.pdf

May 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I like most of these changes.

Couple of clarifications:

1. With change in Fiscal Year. How does this impact membership dates? Since they are all sold during the Ky Open, will they expire on Dec 31?

2. Says, 'Other types of membership may be created by the Board.': Does this mean the Board can create a Voting membership that may be slightly in conflict with Section 3: Voting Members?

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

May 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

A few board members brought up similar points about the fiscal year change. I still have concerns that the change doesn't fit the KCA's needs. Your point is just another reason why it makes sense not to change it.

Your second point is unique from the board's various discussions. I think the board's goal was just to be able to have any sort of memership they see fit. A voting membership would be an odd duck because all forms of membership allow for voting except for sponsor memberships (they can be KCA members but they don't get to vote).

There were also disagreements on KCA members only being allowed to be a KY resident.  A few of us felt this would be bad for some of the Southern Indiana folks. However, if an out of state person wants to have a say-so within the KCA, they can become a board member who is allowed to vote on issues etc...

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

May 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt Hassen

"1. With change in Fiscal Year. How does this impact membership dates? Since they are all sold during the Ky Open, will they expire on Dec 31?"

The fiscal year is merely an accounting convention and has no impact on membership terms. The designation of the fiscal year defines the start and end of the KCA’s financial books and just changes the recordkeeping/reporting convention. The only person it really effects is the Treasurer.

The issue is: if the KCA were to use its current fiscal year for tax purposes, its IRS Form 990s would be due each Nov. 15. But, new directors are elected in June, and the KCA’s fiscal year ends in June. That means when a new Treasurer takes over they have until Nov. 15 to put together a 990 for the whole prior year in which they were not involved.

The due date based on the calendar year, however, is May 15, which means an outgoing Treasurer would file the 990 for his or her last calendar year before leaving office. There is still some overlap between Treasurers, but it is not as dramatic.

Failing to align the KCA’s financial accounting period to the calendar year is likely to lead to compliance problems in the future depending on the knowledge and experiance of future Treasurers. Some alternatives include: having the Treasurer perform separate tax and financial accounting, which is totally unnecessary extra work, changing the Treasurer’s term (for example -- elected in June, but starts next year), or paying an accounting firm to do the reporting instead of having the Treasurer do it.

Here are some links generally describing what a fiscal year is:

www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiscalyear.asp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year
www.sba.gov/blogs/calendar-or-fiscal-which-tax-year-right-your-small-business

---------

“2. Says, 'Other types of membership may be created by the Board.': Does this mean the Board can create a Voting membership that may be slightly in conflict with Section 3: Voting Members?”

No -- membership and voting membership are distinct. The Board cannot change what it means to be a voting member by citing as authority that “Other types of membership may be created by the Board.” The Board can influence voting membership by adding types of memberships that give rise to voting rights, but it cannot redefine the qualifications for voting membership, or create a voting class distinct from the one defined by Section 3: Voting Members.

Voting Membership is defined by reference to the class of previously defined “Individual Members” over which the Board has some control, but with the qualification that voting members must also be 16 or older, current with their dues, and by Resolution 2, if adopted, Kentucky residents. The Board does not have authority to alter those requirements. If the Board were to create another type of individual membership, then the same qualifications would apply to determine which of those individual members could vote: 16+, dues paid, (potentially) Kentucky resident.

For example, suppose the Board decided to create a membership for individual UK Fans. As an incentive for UK fans to join the KCA, this “UK Fan” membership would cost only $2 and would be available to anyone unquestionably a UK Fan. Then that would be a type of individual membership, and all of the 16+, $2 paying, (KY resident) members of the type “UK Fan” would be voting members. The Board could not, however, create a separate “Voting UK Fan” membership with different voting qualifications.

Matt Hassen
www.matthassen.com
KCA General Counsel

May 16, 2015 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Thanks. 

That explained everything very well.

1. Totally agree with the Fiscal Year change.

2. Not sold on the 'Ky Resident Only' option. Not totally against it just yet, but would like some thoughts behind this.

Southern Indiana residents are my primary concern. Would like to hear the thoughts from those folks across the river and the Evansville players. Ky has always been pretty influenced by this group. What are the opinions of the officers that voted for it?

--

May 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I originally voiced my opinion against the measure for 2 reasons: Southern Indiana folks and the fact that we had several out of state officers.

The reason I cast my vote in favor of this option was that out of state people can become board members. That is what decided it for me. Also, sponsors can be from anywhere, they just cannot vote. There is also a rational argument that said it doesn't make sense for Southern Indiana to dictate KY chess policy. In a very technical sense, I think this argument is fair.

So, I vote for it because it allows people to serve who are serious enough to contribute but keeps it all within KY because that makes sense to do.

--Ryan

--

May 18, 2015 at 4:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

I live in Jeffersonville, Indiana. I often participate in Kentucky chess events and have many Kentucky chess friends.

I have absolutely no problem with a stipulation in the KCA bylaws that precludes out-of-state residents from voting on KCA issues. It is, after all, the Kentucky Chess Association. All surrounding states have their own associations open to their own residents. This stipulation doesn't make me feel less welcome in the least.

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

May 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Andy Porter beat me in our last game, so I have no trouble excluding him! :)

Thanks for opinions.

--

May 18, 2015 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

;)

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

May 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

I'm okay with it either way.  I can see a couple of reasons for allowing out of state residents to become board members. 

1.) I'm not entirely confident that we will always have volunteers wanting to try to become board members: maybe we will and maybe we won't.  But, why limit our resources!?  (rhetorical quesiton). 

2.) If it's an issue for the KCA members casting their votes, then they will simply vote for the Kentucky resident versus non-Kentucky resident. 

3.) What if the only person interested in serving was a non-Kentucky resident, are we going to let the position not be served by anyone and the rest of the slack picked up by other board members!?  (rhetorical question to make a point) For example:  I personally think Andy Porter would make an excellent board member if he ever wanted to become one.  He would likely get my vote if I was allowed to vote that way and if I had ever voted on KCA issues.

4.) If we want to limit who can serve, why don't we just say as long as you live in the United States, then you can serve!?  (joke)

I'm merely trying to add to the discussion to consider all of the angles.  I personally would never want to be a board member: too much politics.  I just want to play chess. But, it's hard for me to imagine anyone wanting to be a board member; there alone, limit the number of people wanting to serve.  I'm pretty sure that we aren't overwhelmed with people lining up for the job. 

However, I say all of this and having enough candidates might not have ever been an issue or ever become an issue.  I'm just offering an alternative view point that popped into my head when I read this thread.

May 18, 2015 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Good points everyone.

In general, I haven't seen a lot of people lining up to do the job. I ran unopposed for Scholastic Coordinator this year. I also ran unopposed for Vice president twice and unopposed for webmaster once.

I have only seen one or two contentious elections, usually over the presidency.

--Ryan

--

May 18, 2015 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt Hassen

"I can see a couple of reasons for allowing out of state residents to become board members."

Just to clarify: the proposed change does not limit who can serve as a board member in any way. The residency requirement only limits which members can vote at the annual members meeting at the KY Open. Directors do not need to be voting members or even KCA members at all.

Matt Hassen
www.matthassen.com
KCA General Counsel

May 18, 2015 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Winchester

Evansville players try to support KY events by playing in them. I don't know of anyone in Evansville who has a desire to influence, through voting, what KCA determines in their best interest. I suppose if something came up that would negatively affect our participation in an Open tournament, we might speak up, but I would think it would be by contacting the board members, not rallying for voting rights. At this point, I don't see anything happening that would cause me to presume to tell KCA how to run their organization.

--

May 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.