Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > Is this for real?

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Hello,

I've been away from tournament chess for quite some time (20+ years at this point), but I think I remember what tournaments used to be like. There weren't accusations of cheating of any possible form one person might think of. There weren't accusations of missapropriations of funds (more than an errant lunch bought). There certainly were not episodes of bickering in a public forum between members of the KCA board and people that had issues with said board to the extent that weaponry needed to be brought to tournaments. 

Honestly, is this fiasco / drama / comedy routine real? Does everyone involved in these discussions not realize that other people (outside of said scenarios) read them as well? Put yourself in their shoes. Would you bring anyone you care about to a chess event after hearing about this entire Chris Bush v the World encounter?

Question begs, are you being good stewards to chess in Kentucky? Again, I've been away for a long *very* long time from the tournament scene;however, given the fact that two of the most instrumental people in Kentucky chess have been lost in the last year (Dr. Bell and Steve Dillard), I think the direction that has been taken is the wrong one. 

I am not certain of the correct answers, but I can definately point you in the direction of some comments made that will deter "me and mine" from anything to do with any of the parties involved. It is a really sad state of affairs and (honestly) a damn shame it has gotten to this point.

August 2, 2015 at 4:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FrankNiro

You are chastising the victims rather than the perpetartor(s). Sadly, add Mike Andres to those recently lost.

As former chairman of the USCF ethics committee, I can tell you that where there is money and power involved, this sort of nonsense happens everywhere. Not just in chess (soccer, gymnastics, running....you name it). I agree that it is a sorry state of affairs. I hope you will return and help make things better for all, Eric.

August 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Agree 100% with Frank Niro...

As for the Non-sense .. It is awful...

As for things being Rosey in the Past.. The internet was not around.. but i am fully aware of a former KCA President in the late 70's being threatened with Murder..

I believe the Officers of KCA have done everything possible ( in the best interest of KCA ) as well as attorney Matt Hassan..

Eric, i hope you will reconsider and come-back to chess. We always need good people involved.

Don Lutz   ( Former KCA President )

August 3, 2015 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Lutz has Returned Well, of course you agree with him. Peas in a pod.

@FrankNiro I'm not chastizing anyone. I'm giving you a perspective from an "outsider" (something that seems to be very absent from this scenario). 

Long story made short ... stop with the bickering and antagonizing each other. This is the Kentucky Chess Association, not the Kentucky Passive Aggressive Association. 

You spoke of "money and power." Honestly, that made me laugh a little bit. It's not as if we're talking about very much money or very much power. I think this speaks volumes. Certain people in these conversations have a *very* inflated ego that other people do not appreciate, nor do they want to associate with. That was the point I was attempting to make. It seems to have fallen on deaf ears. 

If there is a crazy one amongst the bunch (not that there are very many crazy chess players), then let the police do their job and stop antagonizing the situation. It seems to me (again as an outsider) that several of the people involved are so wrapped up in their own little world, that they have no concept of the consequences of their actions.

Given the ridiculousness of several of the governing bodies in chess in the last couple of decades, I should consider this par for the course; however, some people actually like chess more than drama. 

Other states and cities are caplitalizing on the new interest in chess, meanwhile Kentucky languishes in this kind of quagmire where the "powers" that be bicker with each other. St. Louis is becoming a powerhouse after having only a few masters in the last 30 years. Perhaps a page should be taken from their book. Yes, I'm aware of the Trang / Polgar controversies.

August 3, 2015 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

As an addendum, I am not an accountant nor a tax attorney. I cannot speak to the legitimacy of any claims made. I can speak to the message sent when claims that weapons will be brought to tournaments where chess is supposed to be played. Chess ... *chess* ... not a duel at sun up; not a shoot-out at the OK Corral ... not at a place where any fighting is to be done other than over the board. It amazes me how this has not been brought up before.

August 3, 2015 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Dear Eric,

There is 1 main problem with your post.. ( Your Perspective ).

There is no ...That i am aware of ... BACK and FORTH  Bickering and Antagonizing between Each other.  Its not kca offier versus officer etc etc..

IT is 1 Person ( Former member )... Versus the Current Board of KCA ( and some others- Past Officers/members etc ).

I can Honestly say in my opinion, Frank Niro has been nothing other than a VICTIM in this whole thing..

I can honestly also say.. NO-One would believe the emails if you read them.. They are so far beyond the realm of reason....

Eric,I agree with you 100% about the money and power thing. I said almost the exact same thing you did when this all started and got ATTACKED.. lol ...True... It really happened.

Call me a lot of things Eric,  but please don't call me PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE... ANYONE can tell .. That is not me!  

I am a very direct person by nature.. GETS me in trouble all the time... 

You are welcome to attend our club in Lexington anytime Eric...

We meet on Wed nights.

Donald Lutz  - ( Berserker, Former President KCA, President Bluegrass Chess Club )

August 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Lutz has Returned at August 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Dear Eric,

There is 1 main problem with your post.. ( Your Perspective ).

There is no ...That i am aware of ... BACK and FORTH  Bickering and Antagonizing between Each other.  Its not kca offier versus officer etc etc..

IT is 1 Person ( Former member )... Versus the Current Board of KCA ( and some others- Past Officers/members etc ).

I can Honestly say in my opinion, Frank Niro has been nothing other than a VICTIM in this whole thing..

I can honestly also say.. NO-One would believe the emails if you read them.. They are so far beyond the realm of reason....

Eric,I agree with you 100% about the money and power thing. I said almost the exact same thing you did when this all started and got ATTACKED.. lol ...True... It really happened.

Call me a lot of things Eric,  but please don't call me PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE... ANYONE can tell .. That is not me!  

I am a very direct person by nature.. GETS me in trouble all the time... 

You are welcome to attend our club in Lexington anytime Eric...

We meet on Wed nights.

Donald Lutz  - ( Berserker, Former President KCA, President Bluegrass Chess Club )

Please re-read what you typed, and then try it again. Seriously. You've posed yourself as a former KCA president and this is how you establish yourself in the public forum? 

There has been a multitude of "back and forth." Nonetheless, I gave you a perspective from an outsider i.e. someone that does not  participate in any of the circles of any of the parties involved., yet you continue to argue with me. 

You cannot argue with how I percieve the current state of affairs. Period. A second time I ask, "are you being good stewards to Kentucky chess?." 

Given the recent behavior (in addition to the former behavior), I do not think you are. 

The victims are not the players playing; the vicims are the players that will not play because they see the antics by the "powers" that be."

Truth be told, I don't even see the relevance of you being a former KCA president unless you're attempting to do even more damage to the already damaged reputation of the organization by name dropping.

August 3, 2015 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Please disregard the grammatical erros as well as the spelling errors. Old folks and small type screens on phones do not make a happy match.

August 3, 2015 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

PERSONAL ATTACK!

I was nice to you, and you personally attack me OVER NOTHING... On a Chess FORUM,,

This is how you conduct yourself??

How is making personal ATTTTACKS against people good for Kentucky Chess??

It has been 1 Person versus the whole... Just as I stated! 

You even ATTACKKed my Spelling :(  My SPELLING..... I am going to go cry.

I will not make personal attacks against you.. I never lower myself to that level...

Donald Lutz  ( Berserker, Former President KCA, President BLuegrass Chess Club )

August 3, 2015 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Give it a rest and save the prima donna routine, really.

August 3, 2015 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

I'm not portraying myself as any "former member" of any organizational group: that's your schtick. It seems that you're bordering on brandishing weapons as well. 

Your spelling is atrocious. If I'm the first person to bring it up, people before me should be ashamed.

I really would love to hear what Dr. Bell would have said in response to all of this when he was younger. I imagine "crass" would have been one of the most innocent adjectives.

August 3, 2015 at 8:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Another personal AtTTackk.

Maybe Dr. Wayne Bell would of used one of his most famous lines on the chess forums...

Stop Those Foolish Utterances   :)

Donald Lutz ( Berserker, Former President KCA, President Bluegrass Chess, Former Courier Journal Spelling Bee Runner-Up 6-8th Grade ).

August 3, 2015 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Keep up the snarkey comments. That's exactly what I was referring to when I spoke of people not wanting to participate. For some reason several people think that Bush is the one that runs people off. I'm certain he runs his fair share off, but there are others that do as well. 

Save the victim card for another time also. Given your behavior (on this forum alone) I find that claim to be suspect. Refer back to my comments regarding antagonizing people. I really tried to give you a chance to say that it was just terrible English skills, rather than terrible social skills. Good luck.

August 6, 2015 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Davis

I support the efforts of Frank Niro and Don Lutz and all they have done to help chess in Kentucky and the KCA. I don't support any personal attacks on them.

August 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Okay, great. I think their characterizations of "personal attacks" (in every rendition of the word "attack") has been mischaracterized, thus my suspicions.

Having said that, Kentucky chess has always been a very closed group (at least in terms of KCA board members and regulars). If KCA is interested in promoting chess, rather than promoting themselves, they will stop with the airing of dirty laundry, stop with the bickering (it has happened, say what you will), and stop with the antics on this board.

Promote chess, don't promote or denounce KCA. That's how you build a fan base of chess. Most chess players could not care about the politics involved. It's that simple. Am I really speaking Greek? Even Davis' comment chose a side as if there's a side to be chosen. It seems to me that more effort is being spent to vilify people than to promote chess. That is the misdirection I spoke of earlier.

August 6, 2015 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

King Zepper

WOW!!!!

One thing to say don't antagonize and then go on in several more posts to do just that. Since you know everything in the CB vs. the World What should we do??? Jusat let all of his comments go unreplied??? I hope that I don't misspell anything in  my post I'm  just an educated idiot. Remeber other people read these posts also!!!!

--

May Your Games Always Be Wins!!! If not draws or that other thing I forget what it is called.

August 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

At what point did I say his posts should go unreplied? I said to stop airing your dirty laundry to the point that everyone and their brother can read about your internal issues. Make no bones about it, these antics are internal issues, yet, you've decided to make them public. "I hope that I don't misspell anything in my post I'm just an educated idiot. Remeber other people read these posts also!!!!" ... refer to the passive aggressive comments. 

Good Lord, someone from the outside can only assume that some people want Kentucky chess to remain the closed group it is. It's amazing, honestly it's a spectacle.

August 6, 2015 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

In addition, when I said to not antagonize, I meant it. Several of the people that post comments make mention of their current or former positions; I made no comment of my position because I didn't hold any office. I'm giving the perspective of an outsider i.e. someone that does not participate in the closed circles that is so prevalent in the KCA. This is really amazing. Honestly, it's a case study in how **not** to conduct yourself when speaking as a representative.

August 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

The best part is going to be when someone accuses me of being in league with or (God forbid) of being Bush. The paranoia is strong on this board.

August 6, 2015 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

It seems that you're bordering on brandishing weapons as well.

That is what you typed Eric....  How is that not a PERSONAL ATTACK??

Mischaracterized my foot..   I find that Personal Attack to be damaging.

I Demand that it be retracted.

For everyone else..

I want to thank all the  Chess players and parents in the State of Kentucky for their support( thx for the dozens of emails and facebook messages.. from the bottom of my heart thankyou   ). I want to thank all of you, because that is why i continue to financially support Kentucky Chess. The Kids of Kentucky deserve the best and with the help of all you... we can make that happen!

Donald Lutz ( 105 Berserker, Former KCA President, Current President Bluegrass Chess, Former Courier Journal Spelling Bee Runner-up 6th-8th Grade, Former Officer Central KY Chess, Former USCF Delegate)

August 6, 2015 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.