Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > In Retrospect

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

As the title states, "In Retrospect", I am glad to see that tournaments are being promoted quite a bit. I was not aware of all of the "ins and outs" of the previously mentioned confrontations during my initial statement. I made an observation, which I stand by based upon those "ins and outs":however, given the behavior in the last few days I am impressed. There has, in my opinion, always been a competition between Lexington and Louisville that was tantamount to the kind of arguments that I saw (again as an outsider), but that seems to have taken a back seat to bringing a larger emphasis to chess in Kentucky in general.

As a player that would like to spend their very limited free time playing in tournaments I would hope that everyone could see the bigger picture and put aside their personal differences. I understand how "touchy feely" that sounds, but as people who love the game more than the drama, I think that's a paradigm that needs to be recognized. I hope that the "powers that be" keep this in mind and continue on to bring larger and larger tournaments to Kentucky.

August 13, 2015 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Eric,

Larger events are indeed coming to Kentucky. Last year, KY hosted the US Chess K9 National event in April. This year, it hosts the SPF World Open which gives away two $52,000 college scholarships away.

As a KY delegate for the first time, I can say that people knew my name before I knew theirs at the delegates meeting. This was because i ran an event called the Free US Chess Membership Tournament last year. Basically, USCF memberships cost between $17 - $27. I charged an entry fee of $20 and paid every kid's membership and then wrote an article for Chess Life about the event itself. People read the article and loved it - so we are home to a fantastic event that people will be supporting from outside of the state!!

In terms of adult chess, the most difficult chess tournament ever held in KY is being hosted by Mike Johnson. My rating is near 2200 (like 2190something) and I am almost the lowest rated player in the event!! Plus, Mike does monthly invitationals for people rated between 2000 - 2300 (or higher). He also hosts events for 1700 - 2000 players as well.

Andy Porter is also running invitational events at his home in a similar format to Mike Johnson - they communicate so as not to over schedule one another to give maximum opportunities for everyone in chess to play as much as possible.

Jerry Baker switched his monthly tournament from the first Saturday every month to the second saturday every month. He did this to avoid conflicts with other groups throughout KY. It will conflict with some scholastic stuff, but that is ok (two different things entirely).

There is always the Monday Night Tournament that I resumed for Steve Dillard, my friend and mentor. Tony Perugini runs the Thursday night tournament in place of Steve and it has taken on a strong scholastic presence.

I also run a Wednesday night chess club where we predominantly give lessons. I have been unable to attend the last few weeks due to my hectic schedule but will resume going the first Wednesday of September. Billy Woodward's club runs Wednesday nights in Lexington and is always an amazing experience, especially with Davis Whaley (2300+) and FM Matt hassen (2200+) in attendence.

Johnny Owens and Chuck Jones are also running chess events in Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky has events being run by Ricky Hamilton and his friend Jason. Western Kentucky has events being run by Tom Knight for Wayne Bell, a good friend, mentor, and confidant to me ever since I was about 17 years old.

All of the above events are US Chess rated events. Kentucky chess is strong and there is indeed a larger emphasis on Kentucky chess as you put it. I hope to see you come out and play.

I have never met you nor heard of you and at this point I go back almost 20 years. What do you do for a living? What is your rating? Do you even live in Kentucky anymore?

I am glad to see you write a good message for KY chess. We need more of that and I am hopeful the positive attitude continues for all parties on all fronts!

Your Friend,

Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

August 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Ryan Velez at August 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Eric,

Larger events are indeed coming to Kentucky. Last year, KY hosted the US Chess K9 National event in April. This year, it hosts the SPF World Open which gives away two $52,000 college scholarships away.

As a KY delegate for the first time, I can say that people knew my name before I knew theirs at the delegates meeting. This was because i ran an event called the Free US Chess Membership Tournament last year. Basically, USCF memberships cost between $17 - $27. I charged an entry fee of $20 and paid every kid's membership and then wrote an article for Chess Life about the event itself. People read the article and loved it - so we are home to a fantastic event that people will be supporting from outside of the state!!

In terms of adult chess, the most difficult chess tournament ever held in KY is being hosted by Mike Johnson. My rating is near 2200 (like 2190something) and I am almost the lowest rated player in the event!! Plus, Mike does monthly invitationals for people rated between 2000 - 2300 (or higher). He also hosts events for 1700 - 2000 players as well.

Andy Porter is also running invitational events at his home in a similar format to Mike Johnson - they communicate so as not to over schedule one another to give maximum opportunities for everyone in chess to play as much as possible.

Jerry Baker switched his monthly tournament from the first Saturday every month to the second saturday every month. He did this to avoid conflicts with other groups throughout KY. It will conflict with some scholastic stuff, but that is ok (two different things entirely).

There is always the Monday Night Tournament that I resumed for Steve Dillard, my friend and mentor. Tony Perugini runs the Thursday night tournament in place of Steve and it has taken on a strong scholastic presence.

I also run a Wednesday night chess club where we predominantly give lessons. I have been unable to attend the last few weeks due to my hectic schedule but will resume going the first Wednesday of September. Billy Woodward's club runs Wednesday nights in Lexington and is always an amazing experience, especially with Davis Whaley (2300+) and FM Matt hassen (2200+) in attendence.

Johnny Owens and Chuck Jones are also running chess events in Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky has events being run by Ricky Hamilton and his friend Jason. Western Kentucky has events being run by Tom Knight for Wayne Bell, a good friend, mentor, and confidant to me ever since I was about 17 years old.

All of the above events are US Chess rated events. Kentucky chess is strong and there is indeed a larger emphasis on Kentucky chess as you put it. I hope to see you come out and play.

I have never met you nor heard of you and at this point I go back almost 20 years. What do you do for a living? What is your rating? Do you even live in Kentucky anymore?

I am glad to see you write a good message for KY chess. We need more of that and I am hopeful the positive attitude continues for all parties on all fronts!

Your Friend,

Ryan

Ryan,

I do live in Kentucky. My last tournament was in 1993. I was rated around 1600. I did "Uncle Sam's" dirty work for a long time and now have the opportunity to take a deep breath. 

August 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Ah I see.

Well if you ever wish to get back into chess, plenty of opportunity. Plenty of people in the area give lessons too should you ever want to go that route.

Anyway, I am building some websites today. I will likely be off of here for the rest of the day.

--Ryan

--

August 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Ryan,

Here is a reference link for you:

http://www.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/   My USCF is / was 20066753

August 13, 2015 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Looking back at that tournament history brings memories; however, it is not a complete history. Just the same, you now have some perspective to work from that I am *not* just some "troll"; I really did play and cared about Kentucky chess.

August 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

By the way, I don't need lessons. I said I had not played tournament chess. I did not say I had not played chess. Vulgar attempt at promotion given the current topic. Really, *really* poor form man.

August 13, 2015 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

As I said in my private message to you, the conversation started out well but has devolved into pointlessness.

I did not promote myself, I promoted all coaches in the area by not specifying anyone.

I wish you well,

--Ryan

--

August 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

No, the conversatoin started out well, and you responded well; in the interest of Kentucky chess, then, you threw in the comment about coaches. Man ... give an inch, take a mile. Some people just don't get it. I really don't understand how you don't get it that some people don't appreciate you promoting your personal chess company on a KCA website. 

Let's get back to promoting chess for chess' sake. Is it really that hard?

August 13, 2015 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Did you really think that the "in the area" comment was appropriate? Were you attempting to imply that the "area" was Kentucky overall? Furthermore, why would you even bring up the topic of lessons? Why would you not bring up the topic of players wanting to play just to play? If chess brings dollar signs to your eyes, you've not only missed the point of chess, but you're also spinning your wheels in terms of making money. 

I stand by my previous comment regarding being impressed by the efforts of some; however, I do not stand by the efforts to promote chess as a "pay for play" activity. This thread, too, has turned vulgar.

August 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I think Velez did point out many, many places a player could 'just play'.

• Pikeville - Ricky
  • Elizabethtown - Johnny
  • Owensboro - Chuck
  • Lexington - Baker, Woodward
  • Louisville - Meijer, Tony, Andy, Michael
  • Murray - Tom

No where did I see Velez's company name printed. If you do not want lessons, then do not take them. If you do, then there are plenty of folks listed on this website that give them. 

http://www.kcachess.net/apps/links/ - has a list of at least 8 different coaches

My preference is no one takes lessons. I am getting old and all these new players keep getting better. :)

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

August 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Jerry,

Ryan's company is well known as a "for profit" entity as well as a clearinghouse for offering lessons. The entire conversation was not published here, so I don't believe everyone has been given the same opportunity for perspective. Regardless, I still support the idea of chess for chess' sake and stand by my statement that I am impressed by the efforts of some in that regard.

The new players do keep getting better, but don't forget ... "old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance."

August 13, 2015 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.