Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > Analog Clocks

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Going through my tournament stuff. Any point in keeping an analog clock around? Most of the time controls I see are incremental or with a delay. I have a chronos; however, I'm not very knowledgeable about setting it since I've really only used it for blitz with friends. Is there any tournament variable that only allows analog clocks?

August 16, 2015 at 2:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan P Miller

I skimmed through the 6th Edition Rules in very quick order; when I have time I will further confirm by searching for it with my Kindle edition.

With regards to time delay and increment situations: if there is a choice between digital and analog, a player can ask that the digital clock be used whether he has the white or black pieces, even if the player is late to the board (this would be done before black makes his 1st move, and the clock is then replaced reflecting the times). That being said, if that clock is the one that is available, then it would be used--it's just not considered "standard" equipment in that situation.

Everything that I found is in Rule 42 of the 6th Edition.

-RPM

--

August 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Thank you for the reply

August 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Amback

IMO, analog clocks, decriptive notation, signing and turning in your scoresheet should be standard. Sort of like how MLB uses wooden bats to preserve the American pastime. :)

--

August 17, 2015 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

I agree to a certain extent. This is a classical game afterall; however, the only constant in life is change.

I never cared for descriptive much, but I really do like the look of my Garde clock much better than the Chronos. Players are no longer required to submit signed score sheets?

August 18, 2015 at 2:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

Rules changes continue to marginalize analog clocks.  They may look nice, but they are less accurate, cannot do delay or increment, and kids today cannot even read them.  A rules change proposeds this year empasizes that analog clock are no longer considered standard equipment and are the least preferred of any option available, even for time controls without delay or increment.

For example, if a game that has begun with only one player present who has only an anlaog clock, the late arriving player has the right to substitute a digital clock which will be adjusted for the time he has lost by arriving late. 

August 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Alright, thank you for the answer. Sad state of affairs if what you say about kids not being able to read them is true.

Anyone have a Garde digital for sale? They seem to be sold out everywhere. Chronos are such ugly clocks.

August 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I do have a Garde digital clock that I would sell, Eric. Come out to the Monday night tournament and I will bring it with me. I have had it since high school and have no use for it.

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

August 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Ryan Thanks, I found one from a company in Canada though. You like Chronos better I assume?

August 22, 2015 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

No problem, I will give you my clock if you wish (that was my actual intent). Like I said, I have no use for it.

So just come on out to Meijer on Monday evening and I will bring it. Totally free.

I do not prefer Chronos.

--Ryan

--

August 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Ryan That's admirable, but why not give it to someone that does not have a digital clock at all?

August 23, 2015 at 3:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

To be nice to you.

--

August 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Ryan Thanks (I think), but that's a little strange. Give the clock to a promising schoolastic student that might not otherwise be able to afford one.

August 24, 2015 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

*scholastic that is

August 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

So you decline a rare clock that will be given to you free of charge and think it is strange I am trying to be nice to you?

Last year I gave away about 15 clocks to various people and I gave several broken clocks to an engineer friend I have with the understand that if he can fix them he can keep them (he fixed them all) for his chess club.

I was just trying to include you because you were in need and not everyone has this clock - I would prefer to give the clock to someone who would appreciate it for what it is.

Anyway, if you ever want it and change your mind, I will keep it in my backpack for going to Meijer and you are welcome to show up and have it any time!

--Ryan

--

August 24, 2015 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Ryan I appreciate the thought, but it's just a bit much to offer someone that hardly knows you. i have already purchased one of the clocks. As I mentioned before, give it to a promising scholastic player. Better yet, offer it as a prize in a scholastic tournament. Give them something more than just ratings points to work towards.

August 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

*I ... old folks and small phones ...

August 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

No problem. Look forward to meeting you one day.

--Ryan

--

August 26, 2015 at 12:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

You will. As stated in our private conversation I'm in school (again) at my ripe old age so my time is very limited. I would like to play in the Pink Floyd once though before I move away (again).

August 29, 2015 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.