Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > Moderators

Davis

The forums have seen a spike in activity over the last year. While this is generally good news, it has also been accompanied by unnecessarily aggressive and anti-social behavior on occasion. Don Lutz and I have been assigned as moderators to the KCA forums by Johnny Harlament, the webmaster. The KCA board is in agreement on this as well.

The biggest things: don't flame, don't slander, don't post topics in the wrong place.

August 20, 2015 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

It's not really a big deal to me; nothing I say on either side of any of the arguments is all that important, but shouldn't the KCA and / or the webmaster be the one / ones to announce that? 

Just playing Devil's advocate. Someone would have made it an issue eventually.

August 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Davis is the Treasurer.

Also, I am against censorship in every manner, but I trust these guys will be fair. If not, they both know I will complain to them relentlessly like a 7 yr old.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

August 21, 2015 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Eric,

I think the idea was that with multiple moderators and one set of moderation rules, it isn't just one person's "job" to moderate. Just helps to have multiple eyes helps I think.

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

August 21, 2015 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Jerry Yes, I know he's the treasurer; however an announcement made by one person can still be construed as not by "the board" as a whole.

@Ryan I'm not sure what you think I was implying, but.... okay.

I also agree with Jerry regarding censorship, but I think some moderation might do some good for the appearance of things overall. Having said that, my understanding is that a lot of the "drama" came from accusations of impropriety. If the goal is to remain transparent then why not do the "easy" things in order to facilitate that goal? As I stated, I was playing Devil's Advocate; it's not that big of a deal to me, however given time someone will make an issue of this (I suspect, given the personas of some involved) and it will degenerate into yet another argument. My personal opinion is that a) the webmaster should make announcements such as this or b) the board as a whole should. Call it prophylaxis, everyone has read Nimsowitch, right?

August 21, 2015 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I wasn't insinuating implications nor did I insert unnecessary parenthetical inclusions that create any implications. I was simply clarifying the Board's mentality with appointing multiple moderators means they can share the load. That's all.

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

August 21, 2015 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

@Ryan I still don't think you get the point I was making. It's ultimately the Board's choice who to appoint as moderator as well as how many moderators. That is not the point I was making though. The point was that the announcement should be made by the Board or the webmaster, not by one of the appointees.

If previous behavior is any indication of future behavior, there will come arguments about this ranging from who gets appointed to how they are appointed to what their duties will be to even (as now) how the appointment should be announced. I'm just curious if these facets have been taken into consideration and if the proper methods are in place.

With the behavior of some members resulting in bans I think there need to be some very clear guidelines and boundaries set in order to avoid the kind of drama i.e. litigation and threats, that has occurred in the past. Ultimately, that is the goal, right? Again, it’s not a big deal to me, personally, either way. I worked for the Federal Government for several years; suffice it to say I’ve seen behavior (in regard to the smallest things) that would make your head spin. It just seems to me that it’s an argument waiting to happen so heading that argument off before it happens seems prudent.

August 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.