Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > Best Place to Buy?

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Given that this question is in regard to online sales venues, I'm assuming that this is the correct forum (wouldn't want to anger the moderators).

What company (online) has provided the best sets in terms of quality and price? I've asked on a couple of other places (internet sites I play on), but would like to hear other opinions as well. I've tried a couple of the retailers that sell sets directly from the Indian manufacturers, but the quality has been terrible i.e. ebonized rather than the advertised ebony etc.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

August 30, 2015 at 12:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

More than 20 views and no one has any experience with purchasing chess sets online? Come on now ...

August 31, 2015 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

don.winters

I buy all of the stuff for our school at  www.wholesalechess.com   I have been very satisfied with their stuff so far.  I've ordred numerous things from them and have even told the players' parents to order from there as well.

August 31, 2015 at 3:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Knight

I too use  www.wholesalechess.com. Of course that was after I first spoke to Don about 7 years ago. They do good business, and are great with POs through schools. 

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

September 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for more higher end sets though. I'm looking to buy a nice wood one (with ebony pieces rather than ebonized) and would rather avoid ordering from India.

I'm considering House of Staunton, but I've heard mixed reviews.

September 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lbell@uky.edu
I bought a very nice wooden board and pieces a number of years ago from House of Stauton. The set was beautiful. The 2nd Queen had a crack in the base and they wouldn't replace it. Very disappointing. You might want to confirm their current policy before commuting money.
September 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Larry, if you send me a picture of the cracked queen, I may be able to get it replaced for you. I need the picture so I know what set it is from. 

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

September 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.