Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > KCA Issues > List of Demands!

The Listserv

Exercpt from the KCZ!!

# Going to the USCF re Frank/Ryan May be the Way to Go...although I'm leaning against same, it's been pointed out to me that going to the USCF DOES work...the example given is when the KCA Board, led by Ryan, was dragging its feet in filing the Federal Tax Returns...after I complained to the USCF re Allen Priest's failure to do same, and that such failure culminated in 25 years of unfiled returns, the Board then moved forward relatively quickly and filed returns, and is making efforts to address past non-filings (according to Treasurer Davis Whaley)(and, I didn't have to contact the IRS which I did not want to do [I DID contact the IRS once, on behalf of the Board in early 2014, early in this process, to obtain the EIN of the organization])...the thinking now is that the USCF might help in the current situation as well...I will be making the following list of requests to the USCF- should I contact same- as part of my complaint against Frank/Ryan/Baker:

1) that the USCF ask Ryan/Baker/Bell/Frank to Cease and Desist from all actions directed at yours truly, including the efforts to force me to leave the state

2) that the USCF ask Ryan to step down as Scholastic Coordinator from the Board, as Ryan is not only embarrassing the KCA in this whole process, but dragging the KCA into Ryan's illegal actions w/ Frank and Jerry Baker (I may have to send the USCF Baker's emails to underscore the seriousness of the problem); moreover, Ryan is hostile to KCA members, such as yours truly (read below for more on that)

3) that the USCF help the KCA find a temporary replacement Scholastic Coordinator- maybe someone from a neighboring state- to help w/ the upcoming major Scholastic Tournaments this year

4) that those major Scholastic tournaments would pay a fair payment for TDing same, w/ the remainder being remitted to the KCA

5) that the Scholastic Coordinator would rotate tournament organizers from last year, i.e., if an organizer ran a Quad in 2015, another organizer would have to be selected to run the same Quad in 2016, and a $200 capacity payment made to the prior year's Organizer to be on standby in case the Organizer this year needs to call on last year's Organizer to run the tournament smoothly

6) that the USCF would ask Ryan to return the $5000 payment he received from the KCA for the 2014 Quad B tournament: such payment, I've been advised by counsel, was illegal because A) there is no evidence the Board approved it, as required by the bylaws at the time; B) the check was signed by two KCA officers who work for Ryan; C) no receipts were provided, indicating the check was a blank check; as such, KY statutes indicate that removing funds against the strictures in place for an organization is unlawful

7) that the USCF would ask Larry Bell to return the monies he kept from the 2014 Quad C tournament held at UK

8) that the USCF would ask Frank Niro to stop doing business w/ Ryan Velez and Jerry Baker because of the issues around the force-Bush-out-of-KY as noted above

9) that the USCF would ask that all bans against Chris Bush playing chess in KY be immediately lifted

10) that the USCF ask that Ryan Velez and Jerry Baker NOT be present at tournaments Chris Bush plays in KY (yours truly would be willing to rotate so that Baker and Velez can play as well; also, re Meijers, the nights I attend Ryan would have to be absent)

11) that the USCF help to find chess teaching work for the 20 year chess veteran forced out of a Louisville area school by Ryan Velez; this isn't the standard competitive environment we're talking about: Ryan's actions underscore his efforts to create a chess monopoly for tournaments and instruction, and hence are anti-competitive in nature

These are major points, but the list is not exhaustive. I may ask the USCF to ask for Baker, Bell, Velez, and Niro to make public apologies to me as well.

Chris Bush
Publisher, Kentucky Chess Zine
chris.chrisbush.bush008@gmail.com
(410) 227-9648

September 3, 2015 at 1:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

This is one of the more tame versions of this daily Zine that I have read.

Brief response to the ongoing lies above:

1. I have not spoken to any TD about a ban on cb. Having a 5 minute conversation with cb is enough for any decent TD to make their own decision.

8. For the billionth time, the only chess player I've ever been in business with is Woodward and it was unrelated to chess.

9. Univ of Ky has an appeals process. My ban has nothing to do with USCF. It is totally because of my responsibility for the safety of the UK students.

10. I have already avoided tournaments with cb, out of respect for the TD at that location.

I recognize several lies in other points, but my name isn't mentioned in them. I think maybe it is time for me to release my own chess newsletter. Why is cb allowed to continue spreading lies and missinformation when he has enough skeletons in his closet to fill a haunted house?

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

September 3, 2015 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

And in walk the moderators ... Seriously, why not take this to real life court rather than the court of public opinion? Both sides claim to have retained council; both sides claim to be on the right side of the law; both sides claim damages. I don't see how this isn't a prudent course for both sides.

Third parties (completely uninvolved in any of the fiasco) making requests to stop putting all of Kentucky Chess in a bad light seem to fall on deaf ears on both sides. I mean, really, it’s to the point where someone can’t even log on here to ask about actual chess related issues without someone wondering if they’re some kind of spy or something.

What happens when people want to / have to avoid attending tournaments that either or both sides of the argument might attend? When is enough enough?

As an aside, I've never seen nor heard of this "zine" until today. Is this something real or yet another strange inside joke?

September 3, 2015 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Dear Eric,

The Chess Zine is a online newsletter that has been sent to multiple people.  According to the information in the email, it is wrritten by Chris Bush. 

On the note of sides.. There are no Sides that i am aware of..  At least no-one supported Bush at the Kentucky Open..  I don't know of anyone that currently supports Bush in the Kentucky Chess Scene.. 

The Listserv post above appears to be exactly what was sent online.. ( I presume its from Bush ? )

I did not moderate the above post, because it appears to follow the rules.

I agree, at first sight, it appears to be some kind of joke... Unfortunately ...its not..

I also think 1 other note needs to be mentioned..  The question of " Why don't both sides just go to Court "

This is total opinion, but i am saying what i truly believe.  The Anti Bush Faction has claimed victory.  I believe it is Bush, that would have to take them to court.

Don Lutz   ( Godfather of Kentucky Chess )  ( Moderator )

September 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Also, court is not cheap. Lowest estimate I have seen for the type of court we would have to attend is $1000. Even if you won a case against cb, then you have zero chance of collecting since he has no job, no home, no assets. cb seems to have a license to say and contact anyone he wants and there is nothing we can do but continually dismiss the lies he continues to tell.

If everyone would stand up and question cb to prove anything, then maybe he would go away, but instead, we have plenty of players that will continue to just turn a blind eye to the lies because it doesn't affect them.

To be honest, it would be easier and cheaper for me to quit holding tournaments. I wouldn't have to put up with the constant lies and I wouldn't have to keep defending myself against false accusations.

Eric, you don't care to hear about any of this, well, I don't want to have to keep explaining to my co-workers why some crazy person just called the President's office of UK to complain about me supporting Donald Trump's anti-gay policies. Yes, that was an actual conversation at my office.

--

September 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Jerry,

A defendant may not have any assets to attach; however, if a judge issues an order that she / he is responsible for paying damages as a result of committing slander and / or liable and that defendant does not adhere to the judgement of the court then the defendant is in contempt. Contempt of court often carries jail time with it. In that regard, the lack of assets to attach becomes a much smaller issue compared to being locked up. The fact that someone has no assets to attach does not (nor should it) give them license to act without repercussions both legal and social. Keep in mind, I’m not an attorney, nor am I offering legal advice. I am; however, someone who believes that no one should get a “free pass” regardless of their financial position.

If I were in the position that you state you're in (being harassed at work and threatened) I would have nipped this in the bud a long time ago. I would not tolerate being in the situation of having any of this foolishness brought to the doorstep of my home or work. If previous behavior is any indication of future behavior, then things are only going to escalate.

The problem is that the entire thing is causing irreparable damage to Kentucky Chess' reputation and overall image. The problem has already caused some players to not want to play (possibly for good). There are plenty of tournaments in other states and locations that the distance would insulate players from any "splash damage" in this situation. Speaking from a personal standpoint, I would like to play in the Pink Floyd once before I move again or before I enter graduate school and have even less free time than now. Having said that I would forgo that tournament if it came with the potential to have to deal with any of this ridiculousness. I highly doubt I am the only one of the opinion that it is just not worth the drama involved in order to play. I have a suspicion that causing enough trouble so that players would rather not play at all is the ultimate goal of some involved. To that end, everyone loses.

As an addendum; “The Listserv” posted in a new thread that an anonymous player has stated concerns similar to mine. For the record I am NOT the player “The Listserv” is referencing nor do I know (or care) who the player is. In all honestly, I find the posting being referenced ridiculous. In the posting “The Listserv” is attempting to paint themselves as some kind of social pariah due to their quest to save Kentucky chess when (in fact) they’re doing damage Kentucky chess.

September 4, 2015 at 1:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I agree that the KY chess image is being damaged. I do not agree that it is irrevocable. That implies "forever" and rarely are "forever" arguments true - but I understand your sentiment.

I have yet to meet a person who has told me they aren't playing due to the "drama" of anyone other than one man.

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

September 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Well worded Eric, thanks. The problem of stopping the 'foolishness at my doorstep' still comes down to money. I don't have the $1k.

A bit of history to maybe answer some of your questions in your last paragraph.

The original post seems to be an exact copy&paste of an email someone just forwarded to me. The poster did not put any new comments into the post. So they are not posting their opinion, the post is completely from cb's 'Zine'. I have also been forwarded several other 'Zine', most of which are far more looney than the one that appears here.

As far as the name 'The Listserv', I can give you the origin of that. cb in most of his emails will always say he has a huge support from a group he calls his 'Listserv'. He routinely mentions this 'Listserv' as allies and confidants that totally agree with his views. No one has ever come forward from this 'Listserv'. My guess is the imaginary 'Listserv' is how cb justifies his attacks. It is the same way he always mentions 'per counsel' when barking out laws, because he received a notification from the Ky Bar Assoc about his unauthorized practise of law.

Here is a short list of entities cb has contacted, all of which has denied him: (I'm sure I will miss a couple)

Ky Attorney General Office

Louisville Police Dept

Ky IRS

UK Police Dept

UK Ethics Committee

UK Student Org

UK Office of the President

USCF, on multiple occasions

Meijer store manager

News organizations, at least 3 that I know of

--

September 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Funkhouser
Limited Member

Personal Attacks against  Hall of Fame member Jerry Baker are REALLY not allowed!

( Godfather of KCA )

September 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Eric, it is a fantastic idea for all to take a step back and determine why they are here:

• I am the current scholastic coordinator
  • tournament director
  • one of Kentucky's best event organizers
  • national master
  • active tournament player
  • One of two Kentucky delegates to the USCF
  • Extremely active chess coach
  • former KCA webmaster
  • two time former KCA Vice President
  • On the Membership Acquisition and Retention panel to the USCF (with 5 others)

What about you Eric? Come to Louisville for some coffee sometime - I'm buyin. We can discuss your role in person.

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

September 8, 2015 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.