Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Tournament Announcements > Free US Chess Membership Event

Ryan Velez

Up to 125 Pre-registrations !!

If you want to sign up online go to www.ChessPerformance.com

For those that do not know, the aim of this event is to pay for each child's US Chess Membership. So, rather than paying for your US Chess Membership as well as an entry fee, you just pay an entry fee.

Tom Knight in Western Kentucky is also running a sattelite event for people in that part of the state. We also have someone doing the same in Arizona. If successful, we will try to get other sattelite events going in eastern Kentucky, Southern Kentucky, and other states.

--Chess Performance Team

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

October 7, 2015 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I was also just informed that Western KY has 53 pre-registrations !! That is a large event for Western KY.

--

October 7, 2015 at 11:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I'm working with Alan Trimble to hold a monthly scholastic, beginner tournament in Lexington. Alan and I are going to assist Leestown Middle teacher, Oscar Ortiz, to get the event going at the Crank & Boom Icecream Shop. It won't be this weekend, but we have already planned the Nov & Dec days. Oscar is very interested in the memberships and I will be texting you tonight with numbers.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

October 8, 2015 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

That is awesome Jerry. I hope they can come to the event. If they cannot, let me know.

--Ryan

--

October 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Up to 155 pre-registrations !!

We have a shot at hitting 200 !! What a way to start the year !!!! This will be good for everyone's tournaments !

--Ryan

--

October 8, 2015 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

That's fantastic, Ryan! This is such a great opportunity for the many kids who will get a chance to participate. And the parents benefit from the free membership, as well. I know my students and parents are all excited about it!

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

October 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

We have officially gotten over 200 pre-registrations !!!

--

October 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

We are up to 220. What amazing support the comunity is showing! Good luck to all of the players tomorrow.

To the parents, we will be as efficient as possible. Thank you for making this event possible.

--Chess Performance Team

October 9, 2015 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

alan trimble
Thank you so much to Ryan Velez and the chess performance team for putting on a great show today. So much great feedback from our parents and our kids had a blast! What a great way to start the season.
October 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

A great event! Ryan, John Simons, Miami, Richard Williams, and all the other staff and volunteers who helped - kudos. This was a massive turnout!

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

October 12, 2015 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Thanks to everyone who made this event possible. The preliminary count was 217 participants !! We will know more precisely when it is rated but that is fantastic. Over the course of the next week we will purchase all of the US Chess memberships (we have to enter them manually). Once that mammoth task is completed we will be able to rate the tournament early next week and all the players will be able to participate in tournaments for up to one year.

In total, we will be purchasing around 350 - 400 memberships (nearly double the amount from last year).

The first Satellite event for this event was held in Western Kentucky by Tom Knight !! Tom did a fantastic job and had 53 participants (I believe). Jerry Baker and Martha Underwood (from Arizona) are also submitting a list of students who will benefit from this tournament.

I will be writing a Chess Life article for the event as well.

--Ryan Velez

--

October 13, 2015 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

The purchase has been made: $3,150 in memberships to be given out !!

Last year we gave out $2,200 in memberships.

October 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.