Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Awards and Recognition > Ron Lipman has passed

Ryan Velez

I have just been informed that Ron Lipman has passed away. His wife Monica told me just now. 

As he was essential in starting the Grade Level Championship, and I am working on getting that event back into KCD where it began, I think it is appropriate to dedicate the event to him. He was a fantastic organizer and a good player. Very supportative of his sons and a dear friend to me and many others in this community.

Tough time for KY chess these past few years.

--Ryan Velez

October 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

I am sorry to hear this. Ron was a gentleman with every opponent, always so gracious, win or lose. Always had a smile for everyone. Really sorry to hear. :(

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

October 28, 2015 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Perugini

Very sad news. Ron was a complete class act. I will always remember him as an extremely nice man that would always put a smile on my face. My thoughts an prayers go out to his family :(

--

Tony Perugini

Zonetone Middle School Chess Coach

KCA Secretary

October 29, 2015 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

The old guard keeps getting thinner and thinner. Very sad.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

October 29, 2015 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

I am very sorry to hear this...

Don Lutz

October 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sherry (Wilson) Paris

Ryan - keep me informed about the tournament for Ron. I would be glad to help in any way. We had such great memories traveling to the big out town tournaments when the kids were young. After long days of chess, Paris and Will would chase Drew around till they ran off all their energy while we sat and watched them!  Then time to drag them off to bed so they could get up and repeat the events again the next day!  

--

November 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I think the idea is not a bad one but would require a lot of up front work. You'd need people to contribute photos, stories, and ideas that can be posted up. Plus, somone who knows a lot of the people that passed.

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

November 6, 2015 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.