Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Tournament Announcements > SPF World Open Dillard Memorial

Ryan Velez

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get a hold of Corbin Seavers but he is not responding to my e-mails. If anyone knows how to get in contact with him in a more reliable way, please let me know at RyanVelez@gmail.com

I for the past 2 weeks or so I have been trying to give him the opportunity to give me any number of names of children who would benefit coming to the SPF World Open for free. He regularly makes posts that he helps people who are disenfranchised from racial inequality to homeless children. In an attempt to help reach out to his network, I have offered to pay for US Chess memberships as well as pay the SPFWO entry fee myself for any number of children he brings my way who are economically disadvantaged.

I have also tried to get in contact with a good player named Deaven and his brother. They have not yet signed up but were promised by Frank Niro the chance to play in the event. I am trying to follow through on this but they have also been unresponsive (though I do not have their contact info, only Corbin seems to I think).

Anyway, initially I gave Corbin through November 10th to get me as many names and contact info as possible. I figured I would need some time after that to register everyone etc... Since he has only given me the name of 1 person, who is indeed taking advantage of the offered opportunity, I am going to extend it to November 17th, 2015. I have recruited 2 volunteers who will help me enter all the information in should we get a large response.

In short, my offer to Corbin to help serve the community he says he represents is free US Chess memberships, free tournament entry to the people he informs me need the help financially, and for any high school students he knows an even and fair shot at free college for 4 years and 4 years of coaching by Susan Polgar and her team.

I want all children to participate in this event who want to whether they are black, white, asian, indian, physically challenged, homeless, well to do; whether they are in kindergarten, 12th grade, go to an east end school, south end school, west end school, schools in Indiana, etc...

--Ryan Velez

November 13, 2015 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

UPDATE

We are getting a steady stream of sign ups! Let's keep it going. There are a few top players in the area we have not yet heard from that we hope to hear from!! We have heard from Deaven and his brother but that is all so far, hopefully more to come.

If anyone wishes to participate in this event please contact me ASAP. My goal is to work with any family who wants into this event! There will be a lot of top people in their field at this event including TD staff, Grandmasters, etc...

Even Jerry Baker and Don Lutz are coming! :-)

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

November 18, 2015 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Who are the highest rated so far?

Do any of our locals have a chance? Like McDonald or Head?

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

November 19, 2015 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Yes locals have a chance. One of our local girls actually has a VERY VERY good chance which I am excited to see.

I believe Matthew and Tod would have a chance to do well, yes. I know Ian Gilcrest is going and he has a very very good chance too!

November 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Williams
Administrator

Glad to hear that lots of local kids are getting the chance to play in this event!

November 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

Congratulations to Daro Mott for getting a draw against Susan Polgar in the simul today!! Susan defeated everyone else in the simul and we had a full room!

This event is off to a great start and we are soon expecting 44 players from Mississippi to show up.

More updates to come!

--Ryan Velez

November 20, 2015 at 11:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

First day went off without a hitch. Ryan has put together a top-notch team of organizers and directors, and the ball room at the Brown is elegant, indeed! Mayor Fischer came by to make a few remarks this afternoon (thank you, Daro Mott), but the big hit is having former World Women's Champion Susan Polgar around and accessible to everyone.

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

November 21, 2015 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

APorter

Day 2 of the Polgar event was just as smooth as the first. Players and parents were very cooperative, and there were no major issues that I am aware of. The rounds started on time - very efficient. A very well organized event. I would not be at all surprised if Susan Polgar and her team were to decide to hold future events in Louisville and in partnership with the Chess Performance team considering how well things went this year. I'm sure Ryan will post a more detailed update soon.

--

Don't you know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize? So then, run to win!

1 Corinthians 9:24 

November 22, 2015 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Baker and I attended the event.. We were very impressed!  The players seemed happy and the workers seemed just as pleased.  The hotel staff was very courteous to us as well.

Grats to Polgar/Niro/Chess Performance.. A wonderful event for all!!

Donald Lutz   ( Godfather of Kentucky Chess )

November 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

The SPFWO event honored Steve Dillard and celebrated his life in multiple ways:

• The event staff was complimented on how well they work with kids
  • Most of the event staff were trained to TD by Steve
  • We gave away 2 college scholarships fulfilling a dream for Steve

I am extremely happy to announce that Josiah Hereford, a resident of Murray, KY and the most current and top student of Wayne C Bell before Wayne's passing, has won the college scholarship to Webster University. I am extremely happy that Josiah has the choice to attend college for free and to be trained by some of the best trainers in the world in chess as well as the ability to pursue a degree in the field of his choice.

There were many KY kids who attended this event with 175 players in the main event, 30 players in the blitz event, 100 players in the problem solving event, and around 25 players in the Simul. The Brown Hotel is one of the most prestigious sites ever used for a chess tournament in Kentucky and quite possibly one of the most prestigious event locations in the world.

I want to thank everyone who worked on the event staff by name either because they helped run the tournament, gave presentations, or retrieved food for other staff members:

Susan Polgar
Gregory Kaidanov
Paul Troung
Thomas Priest
Larry Bell
Amy Nunn
Miami Fugatte
Kali Fugatte
Randas Burns
Tony Perugini
Andy Porter
Kate Jennings
Andrew Comeau
Eric Yussman
Aynn Dillard
Sherry Paris
Simin Khokadadi
Frank Niro
Daro Mott
Meghan Waters
Jerry Baker
Don Lutz
Jeff Bulington
Stephanie Berk
John Simons
Allan Fugate
Alan Trimble
Richard Williams

I have been asked to run this event again next year and I accepted. I will begin to organize it next week. Not a single staff member received any negativity during this event from players, parents, or each other. It is extremely difficult to believe but none of us had any negative encounters and all round 1 problems were handled efficiently and well.

"This is one of the most smooth partnerships we have ever had" Susan Polgar said to me when discussing how well it was going. Susan and Paul complimented the event staff on their efficiency claiming it was the most smoothly run major event they have had. Considering Susan and Paul have run events for 22 years and have participated in events all over the world, this is a huge compliment.

I also want to thank all of the parents who supported this event. The parents were patient, supportative, vigilant with their children. Some parents, like Dave Gilcrest and Jim Wright, joined in the adult section in the blitz tournament while others joined the simul.

It is important always to remember to thank the players, without whom none of the efforts towards making this event happen would matter. The players greatly enjoyed all of the side events, the 168 trophies that were given out, and GM Kaidanov's analysis all day Saturday.

I want to thank Webster University for providing the scholarships in the high school sections, the Susan Polgar Foundation for providing prestige to the event, and to the Brown Hotel for providing both prestige and for hosting the event.

I also wish to specially thank Daro Mott for his major role in helping me get Mayor Greg Fischer to come to the event and declare November 21st Louisville Chess Day.

I would also like to specially thank Dr. Jeff Bulington for sharing his ideas on teaching chess as well as bringing 44 children and another 30 parents/grandparents to Louisville, KY all the way from Mississippi. His kids brought home many trophies and seemed to have a blast all weekend long, especially in the problem solving competition.

Finally, I want to thank Frank Niro for his hard work, dedication, and for all of the training he provided me on how to organize a prestigious event. Frank's lessons will serve me well in years to come and I am grateful for all the time we have spent together and will spend together before he leaves the state. Thank you Frank.

Marrying all of these organizations together was one of the best ways to demonstrate the power of collaboration Chess Performance has been working towards. Our goal is to grow chess wherever we can with an ethical and responsible rate of growth to ensure chess has a sustained presence in the community.

--Ryan Velez

November 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I approve this message.

Huge congrats to Josiah! Free college for playing chess!

Huge congrats to Kentucky! Velez pulled off an epic event!

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

November 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Phillippi

As a parent of a player in the tournament I thought it was a very well done tournament. Susan was so approachable and GM Kaidanov going over players games was great for the players of all levels. My son has already said he wants to play in the tournament next year. Thank you to all involved in the tournament beacuse it was one of the best run tournaments I have ever been to.

--
November 24, 2015 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

alan trimble
Thank you so much Ryan and Frank for helping bring this event to Louisville. Grandmaster Susan Polgar was absolutely amazing...she signed notation sheets, scorebooks, chess sets, and her tactics book and was just so approachable and generous with her time. John Simons was also fantastic on the pairings and computers. An absolute first class event. I've certainly never played a game of chess in such an opulent setting. Awesome experience for the kids.
November 24, 2015 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.