Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > Community chess club questions

Tom Knight

I've been focusing the last 7 years on scholastic chess, and I want to make sure there is something that meets regularly in Paducah for chess in general.

I'd like to set it up as a weekly rated event of some kind. Not sure if a small G/30 is too much to ask for and not sure if 4 rounds are possible. Is it easier to do Round Robin or Swiss in a small club setting?

Can an event be one round per week if the games are longer?

Just throwing out ideas for more rated opportunities for the Paducah area. Any assistance is helpful.

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

November 16, 2015 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry Winchester

Last time I attended a tournament in Paducah was at the Executive Inn (not sure if it's still extant). John Cashon was the TD and organizer, and it was a great event. If there's any ideas for adult weekend (1-day) tournaments (or Opens) in Paducah, Evansville players would definitely attend on a regular basis.

--

November 16, 2015 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

J_Arnold
I grew up in Murray and there weren't a lot of opportunities to play close to home. I think a monthly Swiss would be great. Something simple like 4/SS G/60 or even 3 rounds. Anything would be great for the development of players in the area. Anytime I'm in Murray I'll try to stop in.
November 17, 2015 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Knight

Maybe monthly events, probably starting in February. I think I can swing it on the 3rd Saturday from that point on. It'll probably start out at 4-SS G/30, and increase to G/60.

Any thoughts on Round Robin vs SS?

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

November 17, 2015 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Standard Swiss/ Random Swiss/ Round Robin.. Who cares...  I think Baker and I are ready for a road trip...

Lutz   ( Godfather of Kentucky Chess )

November 17, 2015 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

J_Arnold
You can always say a Swiss and say sections organized based on entries. Or play quads/round robin if the distribution of the entries call for it. If you've got 4 players over say 1700 and the rest are under 1200 there's a good example. I'm with Lutz, anything is good!
November 17, 2015 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Round Robins are really nice because they are so easy.

Here is a perfect 4 to 6 person RR pairing sheet.

http://Lexchess.com/jblink/forms/pairing_sheet_4-6player.pdf

Each round shows the color and opponent that you play.

These are great, because the 1st round is the same in both formats, so you can move from 4 person to 5/6 before the 2nd round starts. Makes adding a late player really simple.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

November 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.