Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Scholastics > Quad A coaches meeting

Tom Knight

A coaches meeting will be held this Saturday, February 6th in Cadiz, Ky at the Cracker Barrel. Anybody from the KCA is welcome to show up.

Topics to discuss:

State Individual, State Team, Upcoming Events, planning the next season, coaching methods that have worked, things to avoid

Possible discussion:

Weekday Blitz competitions at district level, post-season bughouse chess, getting our older players certified as TDs

Lots of Q&A

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

February 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Knight

The coaches meeting was a success. Those present included Don Winters, Crittenden County coach; Jimmy Patterson, St. Mary, McNabb coach; Jack Cody, Lone Oak Intermediate coach, EC Bounds, Wingo Elementary parent sponsor; Andy Miller head of Hopkinsville-Christian County chess; David Snow, Christian County High coach, Andrew Goin, Hopkinsville High coach; Chuck Blanchard, Murray Elementary's K3 coach; Michell Overby, Graves County Middle, High and Central Elementary coach; and Carolynn Heidleburg, Sounth Christian Elementary. I'm also the coach of Lowes Elementary.

We discussed, in-depth, the State event and what can and may be expected, this year. We looked at State Individual for a few kids that will be attending from Quad A, and moving the Quad A state qualifying tournament to February in 2017. I also requested that coaches and older players get certified as TDs.

It looks like the Quad A will have at least 2 tournaments every from September until December, this year, and possibly have a Blitz tournament thrown in, as well. Discussion also included chess camp in Paducah,  June 20-24.

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

February 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

This sounds like a success to me! Quad A is picking up!! Wayne would be super excited to see all of this happening!

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

February 9, 2016 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.