Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Scholastics > Quad A Tournament Scheule

Tom Knight

Hey All:

The Quad A coaches met in Eddyville last night to discuss the upcoming tournament schedule for our region, and the new issue with needing more TDs on hand for what looks like a chess explosion, out our way. Present at the meeting was David Snow, Murray Ledger newspaper, Don Winters, Crittenden County coach, Jack Cody, Lone Oak Intermiate coach; Chuck Blanchard, Murray Elementary coach; Jimmy Patterson, Paducah/McCracken County freelance chess promoter; Melinda Laun, Christian Co HS coach; Jennifer Marks, Hopkinsville Inner-City REZ Coordinator; Michelle Overby, Graves County coach; Tom Knight, McCracken County coach and Quad A Coordinator. 

The tournament schedule is as follows:

Oct. 8 US Chess Membership Tournament (same event as Louisville's just a secondary site)

October 22 - Hopkinsville/Christian County at the Hop-town MSU Campus

November 5 - McCracken County Scholastic location TBA

November 19 - Murray Scholastic (we really did try to schedule it on a different weekend) at MSU main campus

December 10 - Blue Knights Scholastic at Crittenden County

January 7 - Nothing scheduled so we could try to get to the Lexington Winter Scholastic

January 21 - Graves County Scholastic

February 11 - Quad A (Snow date - February 18)

March 4 - State Individual (snow date March 11) at the Paducah MSU campus

March 18 - The plan is to bring a completely filled docket of teams to State Team

April 15 - Quad A Team Travelling Trophy Tournament (EF to be nonparitable foods)

May 12-14 - Super Nationals (hope to see you all there)

The growth in the Quad A is requiring the coaches to meet more often, and work on logistical issues that haven't been present in a decade or so. We are encountering situations where local governments are lending resources and money to perpetuate chess growth in their communities; Christian County. It is really cool to see how it's developing, and the city and schools are gathering academic data on the impact of chess in their district. This information could be very useful for getting comparable school districts to run with getting chess in their schools. They won't have the numbers until after December of this year.

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

September 21, 2016 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I think it is really awesome! I definitely think smaller school districts need government help to get programs going. I have no doubt in my mind that their studies will produce results we already know will occur. Thanks Tom!

--Ryan

--

KCA Scholastic Coordinator

September 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.