Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Scholastics > State Individual

Tom Knight

Hey everybody!

I'm very excited by the opportunity to host the State Individual in Paducah this year. It's really encouraging to the western Kentucky folks that have been working to bring more players to scene of Kentucky chess. In case you're not familiar with the area, Paducah has dozens of hotels and more restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the country. There a lot of neat places to visit if folks are staying longer than a day; midtown, downtown, and riverfront. The new Mellow Mushroom will be open by then too!

As advised by several KCA members, the distance will be a bear for folks not use to it. I am going to move the start times to 10:00 instead of 9:00 to take the strain off y'all traveling further. I’m also looking into the hotels in the area that can offer discounts to chess tournament participants. I can’t make any promises on that, but I will be making updates on the hotels that might help out.

Folks concerned about the drive, please keep in mind that the players and families in western Kentucky have and will continue to travel to Louisville and Lexington for the awesome events that happen there each season; shoot, we'll even go all the way to Pikeville if they can host an event like State. We want to grow chess in Kentucky and want to make the State Individual a smooth and memorable a process for everybody that can make it.

--

Tom Knight, 3rdº MM & Shriner

January 18, 2017 at 11:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

alan trimble

Looking forward to a great tournament in Paducah!  Thanks so much for moving the time back.  Any great Western Kentucky BBQ joints in Paducah the rest of us should know about?  

January 23, 2017 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Knight

There are multiple BBQ places out here. BBQ or the River keeps several nearby. There's Backwoods (good), Starne's (good), Leigh's (unknown), Smokey D's (very good, but in La Center), Larry, Larry & Darrell (good, but in Mayfield), Bad Bob's (good, but in Murray). 

I'm also checking with the tournament site to see if Buzzard Borther's can setup on site Saturday and/or Sunday. They only appear for events, and they are better than all of the above! 

I like BBQ, too!

--

January 26, 2017 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Knight

Update on State Individual lodging:

As for hotels to stay in, I recommend the Pear Tree Inn. It is not the cheapest, but it had the best reviews. I have spoken to some of the other hotels in the area, but every deal that's been suggested can be beaten through online booking sites, or by booking directly through the website or by phone.

A chess tournament doesn't seem to be a big enough incentive for discounts, in their eyes. I will continue to work toward better deals than what I've found so far, maybe they'll come around. 

Other close hotels are:

Courtyard by Marriott Paducah

Drury Inn Paducah

Days Inn Paducah

Country Inn and Suites Paducah

Auburn Place Hotel & Suites Paducah

Thrifty Inn Paducah

Quality Inn & Suites Paducah

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Paducah West

There are a few dozen others farther away, but these are the closest. I'll let you know if anything can be improved upon beyond this point.

--

February 13, 2017 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ajdin Dropic

Tom,

Great event, and a really nice facility. Thanks for having us, and great job!

March 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

alan trimble

Agreed!  Nice job hosting and congrats to Villa Madona for winning it's first ever state championship!  

March 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wasana K. Sumanasekera

Hi,

THis is Ruchi Sumanasekera's mom. Can you please put 2017 KY state chess co-champions picture in the KCA website. I have one if you want. Please let me know your e mail. I will send.

Thank you,

Wasana Sumanasekera

--
March 12, 2017 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.