Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Chess Discussion > Player Travel

Stephen Dillard

I have noticed that strong players from different regions of the state tend to stay at home.  It is really good for chess in our state when strong players from different regions meet and play.  One important tournament that really should be attended by many of our best players is the Kentucky Open. 

Are there any suggestions to help more of the best players in Kentucky to have games with each other?  I realize family commitments, and other important issues limit travel.  But in recent years, it has become very rare for strong players from across the state to be in the same events and to be interacting.

I understand our GM's are certainly and with reason an exception to this issue, but there are lots of people in our top 20 that have never or not recently met in tournament games.

GM GREGORY KAIDANOV2656

GM ALEXANDER GOLDIN25922012-10-01 

DAVIS MAINES WHALEY2247

FM MATT HASSEN2202

RYAN VELEZ2139

JERRY BAKER2116

CHRIS BUSH2115

JOSEPH T FARRELL2078

MARK DANIEL WAGNER2072

WILLIAM E FULLER2040

BRETT W MOORE2023

JESSE REAL BOULARD2013 (moved out of state)

BILLY WOODWARD2013

JOHN M MARCSIK2006

FELIX A VALDES1994

RANDAS L BURNS1988

JUSTIN N ARNOLD1980

MIAMI FUGATTE1980

MICHAEL C JOHNSON

MARK LEO SCHWARCZ1968

October 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

J FARRELL

Steve,

You've raised a great point.  we need to find a way to foster more high level play.  I'm a great example of what you're talking about.  This year I've played Chris Bush and Taylor Bagley but none of the other top players.  

One thought on how to bring about more top matches is for players to "announce" the tournaments they plan on playing.  That would give others a chance to decide to go, i.e. if Randas Burns is there, then I want to be there as well.   I'm going to travel to the Murray State Open and play in that tourney.  It's 4 rounds in one day.  I really can't play in weekend tourneys.  by playing at Murray, I'll play some people I've not played before at all. 

A second thought is to arrange matches between clubs.  New Albany Indiana challenged Etown KY and we'll play them this Tuesday.  I think club matches is another great way to foster some interest in chess, 

Joe Farrell

--
October 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

A Closed Invitational Tournament, or at least section, could bring a number of them together. I could imagine that if travel is going to be involved, some of them might want to make sure that all of the games, or most, are higher rated games. It could be disappointing to travel 1, 2, or 3 hours to play in a tournament where all of the games, or most, are against lower rated opponents.

I may be way off base. It's just a thought.

October 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Thanks for the comments.  Just a thought, both of our GM's have played outside of their home town in Kentucky more often than most of the strong players in Lexington. 

Also, I missed Hank Rothgerber in my list.  Sorry Hank.

Sounds like a guarantee of strong opposition would help according to Mike,  Perhaps a better prize fund than our smaller opens have had.  Or an invitational.  From the list of top players, who would respond to an invitational?  What would you like to see as prizes?  Where should it be located?

November 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

Stephen Dillard at November 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Thanks for the comments.  Just a thought, both of our GM's have played outside of their home town in Kentucky more often than most of the strong players in Lexington. 

Also, I missed Hank Rothgerber in my list.  Sorry Hank.

Sounds like a guarantee of strong opposition would help according to Mike,  Perhaps a better prize fund than our smaller opens have had.  Or an invitational.  From the list of top players, who would respond to an invitational?  What would you like to see as prizes?  Where should it be located?

While it would take a bigger prize fund than I can afford to lure GM's Golden and Kaidanov  to Elizabethtown; I would be willing to add $100 to the prize fund over and above whatever entry fee is decided on. I would also try to solicite other sponsorship and volunteer to direct the event at no charge, especially if I can also play. GM Golden and Kaidanov are professionals and can't be expected to play for free. Would the other top players be willing to chip in extra in the way of an entry fee if we could guarantee at least one GM? If so the Kentucky Mating Society would be proud to host such an event.

Cowards die many times before their death; the valient taste of death but once! 

--
November 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.