Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Chess Discussion > New Chess Club

Larry Merriman, Jr.

Just wanted to invite everyone on here to a new chess club I started in Anderson County. We will be meeting on Nov.27th from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Anderson County Public Library. Hope to see you there.

--

November 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Anderson County is south of Frankfort and East of Lexington.  I guess the Library is in Lawrenceburg?

November 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry Merriman, Jr.

Yes, It's located on 114 North Main Street Lawrenceburg, KY

40342(502) 839-6420

--

November 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rburns
Administrator

I have a question. A recent query was brought up to me about what constitutes a chess club in a state. Any ideas anyone? I'm not sure if its written down anywhere. If it is could someone point me in the right direction please.

--

Randas Burns

KCA President

May 20, 2014 at 3:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I definitely see the potential for abuse with regards to the Kings Tournament. Probably should nip this in the bud before someone "plays the system". Should be an easy fix with a bit of thought.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

May 20, 2014 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

You make me laugh, Jerry Baker.

I'll trade you one Davis Whaley for three entries into KoK.

A chess club is a place where people meet on a regular basis and play chess. KISS.

May 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

I meet with a guy to play and study chess Monday through Thursday at a McDonald's every afternoon.  Others could be there if they wanted since it's a public place, but no one else if ever there.  Is this a chess club??  For some reason, it doesn't feel like it would qualify as a chess club. 

May 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

If you want to call it a chess club, call it a chess club.

I think the underlying theme regarding chess clubs relates to whether or not an entry into the KoK tournament should be given to every chess club. I suggest that deserves it's own thread. And I suggest that thread start with the idea that chess clubs are a thing to be encouraged, not limited.

May 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

I agree.  It's just a matter if a club qualifies for the KoK tournament.  We've been meeting for 10 years, so if someone tells me it's a chess club that qualifies for the KoK tournament, we'll send someone.  However, I expect that's not the case.

May 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

I would think adequate notice that the club existed would be enough to qualify a champion. I am just glad that a club is active and going strong.

May 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

The rules, as explained to me a while ago, for a club to exist and for membership in a club, is that it must meet at least once a month, players/members must meet at the club at least once per month, they must go at least 6 times per year, and the club must have a specific way on how to produce a champion.

Personally in the past year, I have been to the Monday at Meijers club more than 6 times (though I did not always play), I have gone to the Thursday club at Highland Coffee around 10 times, and I go weekly to the Chess Performance club we run at Pizza Place. Theoretically, I could wualify three times and then cause problems that way too (problems would be caused by delaying which 'invite' to accept until the last minute). Of course, I did not do this but others could.

I definitely have concern for what constitutes a chess club. I personally believe clubs should be encouraged, not limited, but an approval process should be made via the KCA. Having an approval process to get an official club going is a little red tape but it also makes the club mean more.

May 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Want your champ in the Kings? Make sure your club is posted on the KCA website under the Clubs link.

Though I would restrict it to no more than 1 per city. This would limit the number of losses that Louisville receives from the Lexington club, thus resulting in the following:

-- boosting all of Louisville's confidence

-- more quickly crowning the Lexington club as superior since we wouldn't have to beat as many patzers

-- making the world a better place (Lexington players would have more time for humanity if we won quicker)

-- and most importantly, it would lessen Velez's chances

Simple solution. :)

--

May 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

It may not matter at all, but it still feels like the wording of which chess clubs "qualify" to participate in the KoK tournament is simpler than having to decide what "constitutes" a chess club. For example, the 3 Tables Chess Club is registered as a chess club with the USCF and listed as a chess club, so it is a chess club. It also meets once or twice a month and has 17 members. However, it does not qualify for the KoK tournament since it's invite only and not open to everyone. It just feels easier to judge which clubs "qualify" than to determine which gatherings are a chess club and which ones are not. Some clubs will qualify and some will not. It will be limited just because there are standards that have to be met. I personally have no horse in this race since I'm not a KCA member, but I thought that I would share some of my thoughts in case they help at all.

May 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Miami Fugatte

Let me clarify the idea of a "club" as it relates to the KCA and the Kentucky Kings Championship.

Any club must have been active for at least 6 months prior to the Kings event. It also must meet at least 12 times per year.

Any club must be submitted to the KCA and listed on the website.

The club MUST be open to ALL members. If this rule were not in place, there would be nothing to stop a small group of people from forming a closed "club" and sending someone unchallenged to the Kings tournament. This also prevents many of the scholastic only clubs from sending persons. There are MANY scholastic clubs around the state, too many for the Kings to support such an event. This is why ALL people must be allowed to participate in the club and it's championship.

Remember, the purpose of the Kentucky Kings Championship is to promote over-the-board play. Far too many great Kentucky players have been lost to that dark and lonely world of internet speed chess. Supporting Kentucky's clubs, and encouraging participation in them, keeps over-the-board play alive and encourages playing in other events outside of club. It also helps with socialization, a skill too many great minds forget!

The larger point is this, more play is a good thing. Louisville has 2 weekly tournaments, and 3 regular chess clubs (plus 2 just across the bridge) available to everyone. Living here, I have my choice of when I can play and where. There is a large population center here, but it s always great to see new clubs in any size city. The Board discussed the Kings tournament at it's most recent meeting and have decided to continue supporting the event. If you know of a small club and would like to be listed on the KCA website, please let us know. This is a great way to get out the word.

May 23, 2014 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

That's a great explanation! Thanks Miami. I would love to see a link on the KCA home page called something like "KCA Tournaments" with a drop down menu with individual links to descriptions of each of these tournaments like the KoK tournament, Action Championship, Kentucky Open, and the Kentucky Closed Championship. Is this possible? I'm not sure what other KCA tournaments there are, but it could help in promoting these tournaments and explaining them. These things get lost in the threads over time. I remember a post not too long ago by someone formerly from Indianapolis asking how to qualify for the Kentucky Championship. So, I think the need is there. Plus, you wrote a great explanation of the KoK tournament process. Maybe you could write the descriptions for all the tournaments?

May 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I nominate Michael Johnson for Vice-Pres, which I think is the person responsible for KCA correspondence.

--

May 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I will second Mike's nomination even though I'd be his opponent. Either way, I think the KCA would have a fantastic VP!

As a former webmaster, and mr Lennig might chime in, in terms of a drop down menu with an explanation of every event, webs.com probably doesn't support that concept unless it can be done through the HTML tool. Though, Bob is far better at this stuff than me so he may have a solution. But having a specific page dedicated to all of the event's, their descriptions, and qualification stuff, that is easy to do. Just submit it to Bob, or the next webmaster, and they can put it up fairly quickly.

--Ryan

May 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Johnson

It must be some other Michael Johnson of whom you're thinking Jerry.  I'm not even a KCA member.  Besides, if I were a member, I would be voting for Ryan!!

May 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I'll nominate Michael Johnson as 'Velez's Personal Assistant'.

--

May 23, 2014 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kentucky Chess Association
Site Owner

I could do a drop-down menu that links to pages which describe each tournament and it's requirements, etc. Of course, that could also be included on the calendar entry for the tournament depending on the length of the copy. I just need the correct info and I can do that.

May 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.