Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Chess Discussion > USCF Rated Blitz

Amback

I see that the USCF has implemented bitz rating. Any blitz tournments in the works?

--

March 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan P Miller

I wouldn't know if there would be an opportunity to do some kind of event on the Friday night prior to the KY Open, but from where I stand, that sounds like the opportune time to "introduce" the idea.

If blitz tournaments became big enough to produce a few handfuls of regularly playing Class A (or higher) players, it could be a useful means for up-and-coming directors looking to advance to the Associate National TD (ANTD) level. As the 2013 rules currently read, an ANTD candidate must have either a Category R Tournament--that is, a Round Robin Tournament of at least 8 players with an avg. rating of 1800--or two quick chess or blitz Category R tournaments (same parameters as above).

Of course, everyone is starting at the bottom in the new Blitz rating system (unrated), so it may take a while for Blitz ratings to build up. The most effective alternative for a director looking to immediately take the QC route to fill the Category R Tournament requirement would be to host two G/10 RRs at seperate times (i.e. on consecutive Fridays for approximately 2.5 hours each day, based on 8 players, during the Summer).

The real question really becomes, is there enough of a player-base in any one area of Kentucky willing to play in tournaments faster than G/30, which would not count toward their regular rating?

--

March 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

There is a blitz tournament held after the main tournament each year at the State Blue Grass Games. I'm sure Steve wouldn't mind submitting it with the rest of the results. What about it Steve? If the "Games" won't pay the rating fees e-mail me and I'll sponsor that portion.

--
March 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Well, It should be submitted with the event that it was played in so that ratings stay in order.  These events are a month apart.

March 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

Stephen Dillard at March 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Well, It should be submitted with the event that it was played in so that ratings stay in order.  These events are a month apart.

What am I missing? I double checked and there is a 4 round double swiss @ game 10 scheduled after the completion of the G/45;d5 main event.

--
March 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan P Miller

In light of what Jerry pointed out, I must correct myself by saying that G/10, d/0 is in fact a Blitz time control. In short:

Blitz = 5 <= m+s <= 10, where 5 and 10 are time in minutes, and m+s is the sum of the minutes in the time control and seconds of time delay, although it's noted that standard blitz TCs have no time delay.

Thus, the fastest "standardized" Quick Chess time control is now G/10, d/3.

March 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

Actually all of the blitz ratings are being seeded with the regular ratings. So, no, everyone is not starting at 0.

March 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

sorry Jerry,I did not realize that gae/10 counted as blitz.  Thought it was quick rated.  Is it both quick and blitz

April 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.