Kentucky Chess Association

USCF Affiliate

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Web Topics > KCA Board Meeting

Taylor

Tonight there was a short KCA board meeting where a majority of board members were present. Topics addressed include logistics for a few tournaments, including the 2014 Kentucky Open, 2014 Kentucky State Team Championships, 2014 Kentucky State Individual Championships, and the Quad tournaments. Along with this, there was talk on the organization of a Kentucky State Team Open tournament in the upcoming year. An idea that making cards for KCA members to have in their wallets.

After the meeting was called to order, a vote was taken to alter the current dues system. The current dues system has a $4 fee for kids and seniors, $8 for general, and 20 times the regular membership for life memberships. The details of the changes are as follows:

1. All individual memberships are to be $5

2. Life memberships are to be 20 times the regular memberships ($100)

3. Family memberships are available for $10. This entitles the indivdual and their immediate family (only children and spouse) to full KCA memberships.

These proposals were passed unanimously, 5-0.

--

Taylor Bagley

Secretary of the KCA

September 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

Small problem - the bylaws require senior and junior memberships - and those must be 1/2 of the regular dues. There is no provision in the bylaws for a family membership. It might be a great idea, but it is not authorized in the bylaws.

The board has the authority to set the dues, but the dues have to conform to the bylaws.

20 times regular for life meets the bylaws.

September 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Allen Priest at September 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Small problem - the bylaws require senior and junior memberships - and those must be 1/2 of the regular dues. There is no provision in the bylaws for a family membership. It might be a great idea, but it is not authorized in the bylaws.

The board has the authority to set the dues, but the dues have to conform to the bylaws.

20 times regular for life meets the bylaws.

Direct from the Bylaws in page 1.

"Other types of membership may be created by the Board". The KCA is open to any person regardless of residence,

race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, political affiliation, or sex.

2. Voting.

Each individual member identified above who is 16 or older and whose dues are current shall have a right to vote,

with one vote per individual member. No sponsor shall have a right to vote unless the sponsor is also an individual

member.

3. Dues.Membership dues shall be set by the Board subject to the following constraints: Junior and Senior dues shall be one

half of regular dues, life membership shall be twenty (20) times the regular dues, patron dues shall be at least twice

the regular dues, and sponsor dues shall be at least $100.

I think it is very clear the Current Board acted within the bylaws.  Notice word Constraints. Since Family Membership is not listed, it is not Constrained.

I want to thank the Current Board for the welcome back! I want to especially thank my good friend Ryan Velez for making this possible! I will see you all at the Kentucky Open, and i will bring some players with me as well!

LUTZ -  President BLuegrass Chess Club

October 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I see no problem with the Family Plan. Odd that wasn't already in there.

I assume now, that this makes Junior & Senior memberships cost $2.50 for the year. That is odd.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

October 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Exactly how I read it Baker. The Family plan appears to be a new type of membership, so it follows the Bylaws. I am presuming the current board understands they made Junior/Senior $2.50

October 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I would never presume they understand anything. :)

--

October 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Lutz has Returned at October 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Exactly how I read it Baker. The Family plan appears to be a new type of membership, so it follows the Bylaws. I am presuming the current board understands they made Junior/Senior $2.50

To all KCA Board members.. If your intent was to just make memberships $5 for everyone...

Do the following...

ALL you have to do is make Adult memberships $10

This will make Junior/Sen $5

As a Board.. you are allowed to Create new types of memberships, just like you did in the Family Plan which is $10

Call it the LUTZ PLAN :)    Everyone 21 and older can purchase the Lutz plan for 5 bucks. The Lutz plan is a KCA membership for 1 year with all voting rights etc..  Yes, it would follow the bylaws.

October 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

If the word "Lutz" ever appears in the bylaws, I will stage an armed overthrow of the KCA board.

However, that would appear to fix the problem with "All individual memberships are to be $5". Many organizations run promotional memberships, so I don't see any problem with Lutz's solution.

--

October 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

You can call it the Velez Plan then if that makes it better.

--

http://www.chessperformance.com/
http://chessperformance.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ChessPerformance

October 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

The "Lutz plan", in my opinoin, would not be in comfromity with the bylaws which call for senior and junior memberships and the price is stated in relation to the regular membership.

Jujst follow the rules and makes the changes in the bylaws to make the dues strucutrre you want to make happen.

The bylaws rules are set up the way they are for a reason, and the time to make changes is set up the way it is to make sure that changes are thought through in detail.

I am not opposed to the changes proposed.  I've told Randas that.  I think they make sense. But just don't play fast and loose with the governing principles of the organization. Those pracitces tend to come back to bnite one when you least expect it.

October 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

Allen Priest at October 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The "Lutz plan", in my opinoin, would not be in comfromity with the bylaws which call for senior and junior memberships and the price is stated in relation to the regular membership.

Jujst follow the rules and makes the changes in the bylaws to make the dues strucutrre you want to make happen.

The bylaws rules are set up the way they are for a reason, and the time to make changes is set up the way it is to make sure that changes are thought through in detail.

I am not opposed to the changes proposed.  I've told Randas that.  I think they make sense. But just don't play fast and loose with the governing principles of the organization. Those pracitces tend to come back to bnite one when you least expect it.

Other types of membership may be created by the Board.

This is a Direct quote from the bylaws. It is listed after Adult/Junior/Senoir memberships. As long as Junior/Senior are 1/2 as much as Adult... They can make any other type of membership they wish.

If the intent of the Bylaws was to only allow for Adult/Junior/Senior memberships, why is this bylaw there?

OTHER Types of membership may be created.

Allen, your argument does not follow simple logic.

Why do they need to change bylaws they are not currently breaking? They are allowed to make any type of membership they choose as long as it does not discriminate.  They can make an Optimus Prime Membership ( HUGE Card 18 wheeler ) 10,000 bucks. no extra perks.

Allen, you may feel the Lutz Plan, Velez Plan, lol...Conformity.. Telling them they cant create a different type of membership is 100% not conforming to the Bylaws. IF they cant create other types of memberships... I ask you .. Why is it there in the Bylaws?

This teacher gives you an F in reading comprehension.. Yeah, i give myself an F in conduct for being a JERK.. but this JERK is 100% correct.

Don Lutz

October 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

You can give the ALL CLEAR signal for 7 days.. I will be in Vegas making a Large Bet for a bunch of chess players ( Serious ). We doing a get rich quick scheme..

Peace..

Don Lutz

October 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Suggest that you all take this to a private forum.  Work it out.  Then let the public know the outcome.

October 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

I don't think that the bylaw provision allowing for a board to create an additional type of membership allows a board to 1) wipe out a form of membership specifically provided for in those bylaws or 2) to create a membership that is identical to an existing membership, only with a different price.

Two memberships that are identical except for price would be, I think, rightly viewed as an attempt to simply circumvent the bylaws.  If one wants to do that, then why bother to have the bylaws in the first place?

I agree the family membership is within the board's authority to creat additional types of memberships. My initial response on this point was incorrect.

(Try not to devolve into personal attacks. I haven't.)

November 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

What are the voting rights for the family memberships. Seems like that ought to be announced.

November 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I just re-read the bylaws to be sure of my response. I also weighed what Allen said and others. Having been a part of the committee who re-wrote the bylaws a few years ago, I can at least say that I had a small (quite small) say in some of this when I was VP.

First off, I believe a Family Plan is in the interest of growing chess and trying to attract not just individuals but families to the game.

Secondly, the bylaws very plainly say that the board can create new memberships as Don pointed out under Article II Section 1(d): "Other types of memberships may be created by the board."

I think it is pretty clear and unambiguous. I support the changes as they seem reasonable, good for chess, good for the community, and reflect a positive shift for the KCA.

As per Article II Section 2 it is also quite clear what would happen to a family membership plan (not to mention Taylor's initial post) states that all KCA members who are 16 and older get a vote as long as their dues are current. Thus, if you have 4 people in a family who purchased a $10 membership whose ages are 9, 16, 38, and 39 then that family would produce 3 voting members.

--Ryan Velez

--

November 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lutz has Returned

" Other types of memberships may be created by the board "   ... Checkmate!

I don't see a bylaw written that starts " I don't think they meant this "

Allen, come on aboard..... Don't take my arguments as personal attacks.. Its just when i am legally correct...I tend to be blunt and silly at the exact same-time. ( Notice the Optimus Prime example).. Show up to Lexington anytime Allen,.. I will take you out for lunch..

Don Lutz... aka The Fish

November 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rburns
Administrator

My original idea with changing the price of the memberships was to make the numbers more even. I also checked with other state organizations and it seems the going rate for discounts at state events was $5 off. The mistake I made was not reading the bylaws beforehand. That's a mistake I've corrected. I'm not sure of the time frame that it would take to change something in the bylaws. I will do my homework on it. Meanwhile you guys play nice!!

November 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

There is no reason to change the Bylaws, which requires an entire KCA membership vote.

Why in the world is this so difficult? 

Just create a new, promotional membership or create several promotional memberships. You can create as many as you want.

This is not rocket surgery.

--

November 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan Velez

I agree with Jerry.

Nothing needs to be changed. The bylaws clearly state that the board can create new types of memberships. It says it very plainly and simply. I agree it would be silly to make Membership A ($5 for 18 and under) then Membership B ($17 for 18 and under). Effectively, that'd be 2 memberships that give the same thing for a different price. However, if the board WANTED to do this they could even though it is silly.

However, the proposed membership is a family membership, which did not exist before the board's ruling and now it does.

--Ryan

--

November 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.