Kentucky Chess Association

The USChess state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Chess Discussion > Win TD or SwissSys

fwalls

Question for all of the TDs in Kentucky...

Do you use Win TD or SwissSys for your pairing software?

I am thinking that most TDs in KY use Win TD - perhaps because it came out before SwissSys.  

I am somewhat trying to lead one of our "old/new" TDs (new to using pairing software) to use SwissSys just because I am familiar with SwissSys and like it for its user-friendliness.  It works very well also with the USCF system.   I am sure Win TD is also user-friendly and works good with USCF - but it is not as intuitive from what I can tell.  This TD I am helping out is a bit concerned if he has any questions about the software - that I may be the only one he knows to come with any questions if he goes with SwissSys.  Of course there is software support, but may be better to tap into others with some experience with software in more prevalent use.

--

leader of the Winchester Chess Club

http://www.WinChesster.com

October 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kentucky Chess Association
Site Owner

I have both WinTD and SwissSys and use WinTD exclusively for my internet Slow Chess League. Of course, this is not USCF so I can't attest to features involving that, but otherwise I find WinTD to be intuitive and pretty complete. I find it to be especially well suited to team events, both regular and scholastic. One of the few situations that SwissSys covers that WinTD does not is ladders, so a club TD might find that an issue that he might wish to consider.

October 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

I use WinTD and have very little experience with SwissSys.  WinTD is used at all of the National Scholastic Events run by USCF.  As far as I am aware all nationals.  I have heard good things about SwissSys.  So either is good in my mind

October 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

I've only used WinTD, but I am going to buy SwissSys before our next tournament.

There doesn't seem to be much functionality difference between the two, but SwissSys seems to be much more supported by the developer. WinTD last update was 4 years ago. SwissSys at least mentions Windows 8 on their website, so they are doing something.

WinTD has always been good to me though and Estima has always answered my emails in quick order.

I will try the SwissSys free demo first and if I hate it, then I'll be back to report it so.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

October 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

At first glance, it is not even close. The winner hands down is SwissSys.

I'm still learning SwissSys, so I can still run into some problems, but SwissSys makes WinTD feel like an old DOS program.

SwissSys remembers window sizes and placement (hip hip hooray)

SwissSys prompts you to save your tournament often, or has an auto-save feature

Frank, have you run into any problems with SwissSys?

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

October 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

I have used SwissSys for I guess around 7 years now.  I really like it - very intuitive to me.  I can't remember having any great issues with the software.  I may have had some little issues, but can't remember specifics right now.  If there was a little issue, we had the software adjusted in no time.  At our last tournament - after we posted the 1st round pairings my computer crashed.  We lost the 1st round pairings somehow.  I'm guessing the autosave feature there didn't take place before it crashed.  We had to re-pair the 1st round after that.  But in afterthought, I think I could have re-opened the file that was first created.  SwissSys saves every round for each section into a separate file.  I could have saved us a little effort there.

Also, my computer's print settings is defaulted to print to the printer I have at home.  I have a different printer I use in the tournaments.  If I don't remember to do so, my first pairings list print tries to go to my home printer.  When this happens, I remember to turn on the print options with SwissSys to print to my other printer.  If I happen to close SwissSys and re-open, then I have to set that up again - SwissSys just used default printer when it opens.   I guess to prevent that, I can set up my default printer in Windows to the other printer - but I don't bother.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Jerry - I'm glad I'm not the only one around here using it now.  It is pretty slick.   I asked the developer once if he could add some functionality for league play - but he either isn't bothering with that idea - or he is taking some time with it (I haven't heard back from him).

--

October 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

owens.johnny@insightbb.com

I use SwissSys in Elizabethtown! I also use it at the monthly tournaments I direct at the Nashville Chess Center. I've never used WinTD so I can't compare them, but I have not problems with SwissSys. I remember using pairing cards years ago and know SwissSys is a giant step up from those days!

October 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

I last used pairing cards in 2011.  I have been using WinTD for years, but once in a while I volunteer time and organize chess in prisons in Kentucky.  They do not allow my laptop in.   I need to learn swisssys.  I wonder why National events tend to use WinTD over other programs?

Steve

October 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

My guess is that WinTD has more support - as SwissSys was developed and sold by just one person as I understand it.  I heard WinTD costs a little less than SwissSys also.  WinTD has been around longer too I think.  What Thad Suits has done with his program is pretty awesome in my book - but I guess since it doesn't sell to the masses he can't really "venture" out in this business. 

Tim Just has some nice youtube vids on basic SwissSys operations.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NR59xV7Pek  (for starters).   He also has vids on operations of WinTD and other USCF needed know-how if you are a TD.

--

October 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.